Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grill Guys....(Gas Grill Content)

Figured I'd ask the question that many have asked before.

The GF bought a house, I'm moving in, and we are buying a grill. Looking to get a nicer gas grill so that we can char our dead animal meals....

I've been shopping for them for a while, and have basically decided that I'm going to get one that I don't have to replace in 2-3 years because it's rotted out or sucks. I'm leaning Weber (if nothing else than for the name....).

What benefits are there to the Genesis over the Spirit? Is it worth $700 to get a 3 burner Genesis? What's the square root of pi?
    Member of the HCAF Homebrews Club

Gear:
    Currently in transition.

http://www.myspace.com/michaelkentmusic New songs up!!

Good Transactions With: Moodbender, Chrisjd, GRIFF10672 (x2), Killing Nevada, Cibyl, Steveanders86, drs448, Valtiel, StratoSlacker

Originally Posted by newholland

good sense NEVER makes good sense when yer movin a mountain of stupid...

Originally Posted by mseriously30

I think some people have the "suck" knob on full bore.

Mah ampbuild thread: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...8#post39421848

Webers last a good long time. I have found that if you get one that has the little a-frame type guards over the burners, that goes a LONG way to preventing the rot. Might want to double check make sure the igniter is well protected from drip and/or weather. I'm sure that all Webers must come equipped. Also, would not opt for the side burner, but instead get a bigger grilling area for same price if you can. jmo and goo ruck.

Comment

Our Weber silver series must be 8+ years old, and only needs a new igniter. Has the nice cast iron grill area that i have seen replaced now with cheaper steel coated ones.

Comment

You just can't go wrong with a Weber. After about the last decade of gas, I switched back to charcoal and a basic Weber 22.5" kettle.

My best advice, keep it clean and covered durring rains and it will last forever. Happy delicious carcinogens

Comment

Gibson Les Paul Custom '68 ReissueA few pedalsSplawn NitroMesa/Boogie 2x12Good transactions w/: Mizati20, SiCKboy78, BionicMark, MRAAJR, ::fred::

Comment

Check out the big brain on Brad....

Thanks for the comments y'all. Thinking I might save some cash and go with the 3 burner Spirit instead of the Genesis - no reason to go nuts and spend $700 on a grill....

Gear:
            Currently in transition.

Good Transactions With: Moodbender, Chrisjd, GRIFF10672 (x2), Killing Nevada, Cibyl, Steveanders86, drs448, Valtiel, StratoSlacker

Comment

Weber is hard to go wrong with, but I have a four year old Char Broil that works just as well as my old Weber and was much more affordable. If you keep them clean, most grills will last quite a while. As far as the Genesis versus Spirit, I do prefer the specs of the Genesis. I never use a side burner and I like the larger cooking surfaces of the Genesis. The warming rack is nice to have for stuff like wings and sausage that flame up a lot, and the Spirit doesn't offer a whole lot of room. I also like the three separate burners to allow you to more effectively control the temperature, especially when you are getting crosswinds. Now, depending on how frequently you grill and how much you grill at a time, the difference might not be that important. If you grill a lot and want to put a variety of things on the grill at once, the extra cooking surface and burner can come in handy.

Also, I'm not sure how frequently you grill, but if you are like me and do it at least three times per week, definitely investigate using a natural gas hookup if one is available. It is so much easier than having to dick around with propane tanks constantly.
              Positive Transactions:Rig-Talk: O'Rourke, 92lx50, Chubtone, Juggernaut, DanyeoHC: leod_74, Dimebag11, floydroseuser, LordOVchaoS, Duderanimous, MatrixClawTGP: RMC519, Red Planet

Comment

I can buy 3.5 $89 grills & replace them every third year for what that costs. A cheapie cooks hot dogs & chicken just as well...
                Originally Posted by Murdoch

That's what you get for putting a goddamned Floyd on a Lester. ****************************.

Comment

I can buy 3.5 $89 grills & replace them every third year for what that costs. A cheapie cooks hot dogs & chicken just as well...

Taste is in the price tag, bro.
                  Positive Transactions:Rig-Talk: O'Rourke, 92lx50, Chubtone, Juggernaut, DanyeoHC: leod_74, Dimebag11, floydroseuser, LordOVchaoS, Duderanimous, MatrixClawTGP: RMC519, Red Planet

Comment

I have a four year old Char Broil...

+1 - I'm surprised and happy to say the igniter still works on it as well...it seems all the old webers I've come in contact with, the igniter no longer worky.

Comment

cheap whores, cheap BBQs, cheap hot dogs, chicken ... gotta hand it to ya man, you're pathologically consistant
                      The community here was awesome but the digs & spirit of the place has been in decline ever since it became a business venture rather than a simple collective and this latest gong show really brought the chickens home to roost.Necessity is the mother of invention, ergo: www.guitarampboard.com.So long and thanks for all the fish, love izzy.

Comment

And hot dogs and chicken? Try rack of lamb and ribeye brah - I'm straight class.

I figure this will be a one-time expense (at least in the short-term) and I want to get one that has even heat and can meet my needs for a few years. I looked at the cheapies, and they're cheap for a reason....

Gear:
                        Currently in transition.

Comment

Anyone experience their burners getting clogged at some point? How do you clean that?
                          Gibson 1997 LP Custom Iron Cross
                          Marshall '77 JMP 2204
                          Diezel VH4
                          Egnater M4
                          Randall RT2/50 Power amp
                          Marshall 1960 AHW Cab
                          Deizel FL 2x12
                          TC G Major
                          ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
                          Line 6 X2 Rack

Comment

+1 - I'm surprised and happy to say the igniter still works on it as well...it seems all the old webers I've come in contact with, the igniter no longer worky.

If you keep them clean and maintained, they'll work for quite a while. Even when everything seems to be dirty beyond repair, you just have to rub it down with some white vinegar and baking soda, let it sit, and spray it off. It will look brand new.

Comment

Anyone experience their burners getting clogged at some point? How do you clean that?
                              that's why I said make sure they got the little drip covers built over the burners. Otherwise it is a teardown and replace.

Comment

Working...
                              X