Grill Guys....(Gas Grill Content)

Weathered

• Members

Figured I'd ask the question that many have asked before.

The GF bought a house, I'm moving in, and we are buying a grill. Looking to get a nicer gas grill so that we can char our dead animal meals....

I've been shopping for them for a while, and have basically decided that I'm going to get one that I don't have to replace in 2-3 years because it's rotted out or sucks. I'm leaning Weber (if nothing else than for the name....).

What benefits are there to the Genesis over the Spirit? Is it worth $700 to get a 3 burner Genesis? What's the square root of pi?

• Members

Webers last a good long time. I have found that if you get one that has the little a-frame type guards over the burners, that goes a LONG way to preventing the rot. Might want to double check make sure the igniter is well protected from drip and/or weather. I'm sure that all Webers must come equipped. Also, would not opt for the side burner, but instead get a bigger grilling area for same price if you can. jmo and goo ruck.

• Members

Check out the big brain on Brad....

Thanks for the comments y'all. Thinking I might save some cash and go with the 3 burner Spirit instead of the Genesis - no reason to go nuts and spend $700 on a grill....

• Members

Weber is hard to go wrong with, but I have a four year old Char Broil that works just as well as my old Weber and was much more affordable. If you keep them clean, most grills will last quite a while. As far as the Genesis versus Spirit, I do prefer the specs of the Genesis. I never use a side burner and I like the larger cooking surfaces of the Genesis. The warming rack is nice to have for stuff like wings and sausage that flame up a lot, and the Spirit doesn't offer a whole lot of room. I also like the three separate burners to allow you to more effectively control the temperature, especially when you are getting crosswinds. Now, depending on how frequently you grill and how much you grill at a time, the difference might not be that important. If you grill a lot and want to put a variety of things on the grill at once, the extra cooking surface and burner can come in handy.

Also, I'm not sure how frequently you grill, but if you are like me and do it at least three times per week, definitely investigate using a natural gas hookup if one is available. It is so much easier than having to dick around with propane tanks constantly.

• Members

I can buy 3.5 $89 grills & replace them every third year for what that costs. A cheapie cooks hot dogs & chicken just as well...

cheap whores, cheap BBQs, cheap hot dogs, chicken ... gotta hand it to ya man, you're pathologically consistant :thu:

• Members

I can buy 3.5 $89 grills & replace them every third year for what that costs. A cheapie cooks hot dogs & chicken just as well...

And hot dogs and chicken? Try rack of lamb and ribeye brah - I'm straight class. :p

I figure this will be a one-time expense (at least in the short-term) and I want to get one that has even heat and can meet my needs for a few years. I looked at the cheapies, and they're cheap for a reason....

• Members

+1 - I'm surprised and happy to say the igniter still works on it as well...it seems all the old webers I've come in contact with, the igniter no longer worky.

If you keep them clean and maintained, they'll work for quite a while. Even when everything seems to be dirty beyond repair, you just have to rub it down with some white vinegar and baking soda, let it sit, and spray it off. It will look brand new. :thu:

• Members

I have a 5 year old grillmaster. :lol: {censored}er is big.

Would I buy another? {censored} no, finding replacement parts (like valves for example) is impossible. But since it's still running....

I basically let the burner go for a couple years then swap it out for a new one. {censored} is still running well though. I clean the {censored} out of it when I swap the burner. A burner swap is around $25, the ignitor was $10.

So I just spend $35 ever other year and {censored} works like new.

• Members

I've read a little about it and it seems like the lowest end Weber is about the cheapest you can get a "nice" gas grill for. Everything below that will typically be made out of inferior materials and fall apart on you within a few years.

I'm not sure how the full size Webers work, but I have one of the tiny Weber Q grills and that thing ROCKS. I cannot believe how efficient it is on gas. I've cooked 8-9 meals on it using two small propane canisters that cost around $5. That's waaaaaay cheaper than charcoal would have been in my normal sized Weber onetouch dome grill.

• Members

I just bought a Weber Q320 and LOVE it...I decided on this grill after realizing my last 3 grills were HUGE, all these side burners and extra {censored} i never used. The Q320 is smaller overall but the grilling space is the same as the larger grills you buy. I looked at Spirit model but went with the 320 over it.

w119_q300_premiumwagen.jpg

Archived