Marshall Mode 4 MF400 cab, any opinions?

mparsons

• Members

I bought one because I wanted to try it and the speakers.

I didn't like it. I tried, I really did. I thought it was too punchy and had a certain "woof" to it. I even took the speakers out and put them into my Orange slant 412 and didn't like that either. I kept them in there for a few weeks and realized that I got to a point where I wouldn't play because I wasn't happy with how it sounded.

They are built well and the cab itself is really large. If you're into a really filled out sound that doesn't really tighten up, go for it. I would attribute it to more of a doom type of feel than anything else. Yes, I know Kerry King uses them, but he's not exactly the world's tightest player.

It can sound huge, but I don't like the way the cab response was for what I'm after and I didn't like the overall tone of the speakers. Many people swear by these speakers and I can see why some would like them, but I am just thankful I found one used and got the money back out of it.

• Members

I have the 280 and it's an awesome cab. Then again, vintage 30s are far and away my favorite speakers.

Plus the V30's you have in your cab are tweaked sort of like the mesa V30 in recto cabs or something. Marshall mode four cab=more or less cheapest high end cab.

• Members

I've got both, the MF400 cab and the Mesa Standard Recto 4x12. IMO if your doing full bore brutal metal the MF400 would be the choice. The top end really tames the high end fizz, and the bottom end and mids are super full and don't fart out.

The Mesa cab is great, but I think the the MF400 is probally the better cab, and can be had for alot cheaper.

• Members

Yeah I would totally hit that 4x12 right now except I could use money more. I'm actually trying to unload my 1960B.

{censored}...I almost want to buy it out of principle. If I can talk him down to $150 I might go for it. We live in the same town as well.

• Members

I think marshall cabs are pretty cheaply built, my peavey vtm cab is much more solid. If you can find one of those with k-85s (k100s essentially) I would take it over the marshall.

You may have your gripes about the build quality of 1960's no matter how unfounded I feel they are, but the MF400 is built like a mother {censored}ing tank. It's a oversized cab made of all birch plywood inclueding the back piece. Damn thing weighs over 100lbs.

• Members

You may have your gripes about the build quality of 1960's no matter how unfounded I feel they are, but the MF400 is built like a mother {censored}ing tank. It's a oversized cab made of all birch plywood inclueding the back piece. Damn thing weighs over 100lbs.

Sorry for some reason I thought the mf cabs were oversized 1960s. But, my gripes with the 1960 are based on owning 2 of them. Cheap plastic handles, little {censored}ty casters, plastic corner protectors, and generally cheap build in general. The only thing my vtm cab shares are the {censored}ty casters, other than that it is superior in every comparable way.

I should note that my caster standards were set with mesa traklok, which are {censored}ing beast.

• Members

Sorry for some reason I thought the mf cabs were oversized 1960s. But, my gripes with the 1960 are based on owning 2 of them. Cheap plastic handles, little {censored}ty casters, plastic corner protectors, and generally cheap build in general. The only thing my vtm cab shares are the {censored}ty casters, other than that it is superior in every comparable way.

I should note that my caster standards were set with mesa traklok, which are {censored}ing beast.

Yeah, the casters are pieces of {censored} on 1960s that's {censored}ing fact from someone who loves 1960s. Same {censored}ty casters on the MF400s.

I just love 1960s because I have got 1960av, a avatar traditional 4x12 with v30s(don't ask I got {censored}ed, thought the cab had g12h30s in it when I bought it), and Mesa Traditional 4x12, and sound wise I like the Marshall the best. It's got a warmer, softer sound to it(something that benifits v30s IMO).

But yeah, the Mesa casters, handels, corner protectors and probally interanl wiring are way better.

But the Marshall is way lighter, and I slightly perfer the sound, so it wins IMO.

• Members

Yeah, the casters are pieces of {censored} on 1960s that's {censored}ing fact from someone who loves 1960s. Same {censored}ty casters on the MF400s.

I just love 1960s because I have got 1960av, a avatar traditional 4x12 with v30s(don't ask I got {censored}ed, thought the cab had g12h30s in it when I bought it), and Mesa Traditional 4x12, and sound wise I like the Marshall the best. It's got a warmer, softer sound to it(something that benifits v30s IMO).

But yeah, the Mesa casters, handels, corner protectors and probally interanl wiring are way better.

But the Marshall is way lighter, and I slightly perfer the sound, so it wins IMO.

I don't hate them at all, I like their sound (not t75s, hate those) I just think they are cheaper.

Archived