If Dream Theater and Fates Warning met in a dark alley

Yarbicus

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Another awesome band! Anubis Gate is my personal fave but those others are not far behind.

Riverside seems to combine all of my favorite parts of modern music into one...Heavy riffs, superb vocals, awesome rhythms, time signature manipulation, and most of all, melodic solo'ing...Not just playing fast runs...Their clean/melodic parts remind me of some pink floyd inspired stuff...dig it. :)

• Members

Riverside seems to combine all of my favorite parts of modern music into one...Heavy riffs, superb vocals, awesome rhythms, time signature manipulation, and most of all, melodic solo'ing...Not just playing fast runs...Their clean/melodic parts remind me of some pink floyd inspired stuff...dig it.
:)

No argument here. I just prefer the overall heaviness of Anubis Gate and Redemption. Man, it is a good time to love prog!

• Members

No argument here. I just prefer the overall heaviness of Anubis Gate and Redemption. Man, it is a good time to love prog!

Hell, I was just gushing about Riverside...I love Anubis gate and Redemption as well. Was just listening to some Riverside albums today though, so they were fresh in my mind :)

• Members

I've been a long time Fates/DT fan (got into Fates with No Exit, and DT When dream and day unite, also was turned onto Watchtower) before that I was a huge Rush/Queensryche fan. Still dig DT for some things (can't wait to see what happens without MP), but I've always loved Fates, lyrically and song writing have always been so incredible.

I remember seeing Fates open for DT and after Fates played, Jim Matheos came up to the balcony and was checking out DT's set and for whatever reason I couldn't walk up to him and tell him how much I dug his music (one of my most regretful failz, the guy is a {censored}ing genius).

• Members

Me too! I actually got to take lessons from Frank Aresti for about 6 months after he left Fates before he moved back to Connecticut. Dude was an awesome teacher!

Very cool! I used to take lessons from Andre Corbin of Helstar. He was supposed to join Fates back in like, 1993, but it never happened for some reason.

• Members

Kamelot? Prog?
:confused:
Did they prog it up in later albums? Now, Conception on the other hand.....

I would consider Epica/The Black Halo to be pretty progressive. They still have Power-ish songs, but go off on tangents(like the whole Ghost Opera disc).

• Members

I would consider Epica/The Black Halo to be pretty progressive. They still have Power-ish songs, but go off on tangents(like the whole Ghost Opera disc).

Ahhh, gotcha. I'm not familiar with much after Karma. I think I tried dipping into Epica and not liking it, which kept me from the latter albums you mentioned.

Archived