5150 effects loop problem?

Battery

• Members

I just played my blockletter 5150(was bought used) for the first time in months, but when I plug effects into the loop the effects don't respond. I still get normal volume, but the loop ignored my EQ , flanger, and chorus pedals. I know the pedals are not the problem, they work fine when plugged into the front of the amp. I plugged the input of the pedals into send, and output into return; don't understand why it wouldn't be working. If there is a problem with the loop, is it worth getting fixed on a 5150 or is it better to just use the front, even for modulation pedals?

• Members

Well I'm away from the amp now, but yeah there is a footswitch plugged in. Like I said I haven't played it in awhile. Sorry to seem like a n00b, but you think the footswitch could be the problem?

It's not a problem. The footswitch turns the loop on/off. I BET the loop is turned off in the footswitch :lol:

• Members

It's a custom footswitch if that matters, but yeah maybe that is the problem.
:facepalm::o

Bear in mind this was my first amp head.

I am 99.9 % sure that's the problem. Very simple to find out for sure: try again without the footswitch plugged in. If that fixes that problem, call Peavey and order the right one (or get an used one from eBay etc... )

• Members

i have the same amp, but alas, i have never fuct with the effects loop. if you have a two button footswitch you should be sure to check that the loop is engaged there.

hint, it will be the button that does not change the channel from rhythm to lead.

• Members

I'm with guitarbilly74 above! Good advice.

If you have a stereo plug, just put it inside the remote input in the back of the amp. By default, it should activate the FX loop. Tip of the plug is the FX loop, ring is the channel switching.

Try it out and keep us posted.

• Members

I am 99.9 % sure that's the problem. Very simple to find out for sure: try again without the footswitch plugged in. If that fixes that problem, call Peavey and order the right one (or get an used one from eBay etc... )

Thanks, man I will.

• Members

I'm with guitarbilly74 above! Good advice.

If you have a stereo plug, just put it inside the remote input in the back of the amp. By default, it should activate the FX loop. Tip of the plug is the FX loop, ring is the channel switching.

Try it out and keep us posted.

The default is for the loop to be active when there is nothing plugged in so all he needs to do is unplug the footswitch and try again. :)

• Members

I am also having problems with my 5150 FX loop. It acts like it's a parallel loop, but I e-mailed Peavey, and they confirmed that it is indeed a series fx loop. I get no volume when using the Axe FX four cable method. I've posted about this before here (fractal forum. hope a cross thread link is ok). If anyone wants to read through the thread, and try to help me out, that would be awesome.

I've also tried the fx loop with my MXR 10 band eq, and it just acts like it's in series. It's like it's just blending the fx loop signal with the main signal. I have tried it with, and without the foot switch.

I dunno, I got frustrated, and pretty much gave up on it thinking I would eventually take it to a tech.

• Members

I am also having problems with my 5150 FX loop. It acts like it's a parallel loop, but I e-mailed Peavey, and they confirmed that it is indeed a series fx loop. I get no volume when using the Axe FX four cable method. I've posted about this before
(fractal forum. hope a cross thread link is ok). If anyone wants to read through the thread, and try to help me out, that would be awesome.

I've also tried the fx loop with my MXR 10 band eq, and it just acts like it's in series. It's like it's just blending the fx loop signal with the main signal. I have tried it with, and without the foot switch.

I dunno, I got frustrated, and pretty much gave up on it thinking I would eventually take it to a tech.

Yeah, take it to a tech, this is not normal.

• Members

I am also having problems with my 5150 FX loop. It acts like it's a parallel loop, but I e-mailed Peavey, and they confirmed that it is indeed a series fx loop. I get no volume when using the Axe FX four cable method. I've posted about this before
(fractal forum. hope a cross thread link is ok). If anyone wants to read through the thread, and try to help me out, that would be awesome.

Actually, this is a fairly common complaint. The fx loop tube is shared, so a small signal will bleed inside the tube. It is common, but become negligible once the volume is louder. Try different tubes to find one with less internal bleeding...

• Members

Thanks guys, I figured I'd have to take it in. I bought the thing second hand, so who knows.

Shask, it's not really internal bleeding that is the main problem. It's the fact that I get no volume with the four cable method. It's like the Axe Fx isn't getting an effects return signal, but I've tested the fx loop with pedals on the axe and it works. If you still think it's a tube, I will give it a try. Do you remember if it's v4 or v5?

• Members

Thanks guys, I figured I'd have to take it in. I bought the thing second hand, so who knows.

Shask, it's not really internal bleeding that is the main problem. It's the fact that I get no volume with the four cable method. It's like the Axe Fx isn't getting an effects return signal, but I've tested the fx loop with pedals on the axe and it works. If you still think it's a tube, I will give it a try. Do you remember if it's v4 or v5?

If you put a cable in the send, and one in the return and don't connect them to anything you should technically get no sound since its serial. But, its common to get a low volume sound that doesn't change much with post volume changes. This is common, and is the problem that I mentioned. Anything beyond that might be some weird problem yours has....

• Members

If you put a cable in the send, and one in the return and don't connect them to anything you should technically get no sound since its serial. But, its common to get a low volume sound that doesn't change much with post volume changes. This is common, and is the problem that I mentioned. Anything beyond that might be some weird problem yours has....

Thanks man! I'll swap the tube and see what happens. I'll try the cable in both the send and return, and see what happens. I didn't think to try that. Thanks!

Edit: Didn't mean to derail the thread. Did you get your FX loop working Battery?

• 5 years later...
  • Members

had the same problem, footswitch was the culprit:

in the 5150 fx loop is engaged when switch aint plugged in

and it actually worked whithout fswitch

but with remote plugged fx was'nt engaged and pressing the swicht dind'n even turn the led on

so I opened it and realized that the tip signal that controls the loop passes thru the led before getting to the switch

so when the led is dead signal won't pass

changed the led, everything ok

(the led was covered in glue, had to mess with the solder and breathed that {censored}.. I feel a bit dizzy and headached... but maybe I always do)

Archived