Tube replacements for Peavey Classic 50

jccauseway

• Members

I have a Peavey Classic 50 2*12. I can like the clean channel, but rely on pedals for dirt. I would like a warmer dirt tone.

What kind of pre-amp tubes would you recommend to replace the factory pre-amp tubes? Or, will swapping out the tubes make a big enough difference for the cost?

Thanks.

• Members

I have a 2x12 Classic 50 as well, and I would say that the best results for changing the sound will come from a speaker replacement. Are you still running the stock Blue Marvels? I switched to some WGS ET65 speakers and they are very much warm sounding. They sound great clean and distorted... I also use the clean channel and run dirt pedals into it, so I would recommend trying different pedals. I really enjoy the Lovekraft Mojo Drive for mid-gain vibes!

I don't know that swapping out preamp tubes will give you what you are looking for... If you want to try swapping I would look into a 5751 tube, maybe a Jan-Philips 5751. I would think that would be a good tube, as it sounded really good in my Marshall DSL... The lower gain 5751 might tame the harshness and clean up your sound a bit more. I also recommend using Ruby 12AX7s for V2 and V3, as they are pretty good tubes. As far as power tubes go, I haven't tried any other EL84 than the JJ, so I don't know how much of a difference they will make. I know that the next power tube I go with will be the Tube Amp Doctor (TAD) EL84-STR.

Hopefully this helps some!

Cole

• Members

...make sure you have a look at the amp sections of these pages too, they talk about bias mods & tube recommendations.

- http://thetubestore.com/peavey-classic50.html

- https://ssl.eurotubes.com/cart/index.php?page=view_products&category_id=8&sub_category_id=33

- http://www.tubedepot.com/?gclid=CI_1-OH5vaoCFUEEQAodPQjMxA

I am retubing my c50-4x10 shortly too -- looks like I'm going with either Mullard or Tung-Sol in V1, using Tung-Sol for the rest, and then JJs for the power section.

IMHO it is a good idea (if you have the extra cash) to get tested, balanced, and matched tubes. (EuroTubes has lots of info on this)

Also make sure to check out the amp section of the Peavey forum. LOTS of good info & people on there.

Good luck bro!

m/

• Members

IMHO it is a good idea (if you have the extra cash) to get tested, balanced, and matched tubes. (EuroTubes has lots of info on this)

Tested/burned in....yes.

Balanced......waste of money.

Matched......on output tubes, yes, but don't waste your money on matched preamp tubes.

• Members

I re-valved my C50 recently with JJ's EL84's in the power section and a Tungsol 12AX7 in V1, JJ ECC803S in V2 and Sovtek 12AX7LPS in V3 cause thats what they recommended over at the Peavey forum. Cleans are sweet as a nut, overdrive channel is tight, smooth and throaty which suits the punky stuff I play. Don't need to use any overdrive/booster/distortion/EQ pedals any more. I can really recommend this set up.

• Members

I have a Peavey Classic 50 2*12. I can like the clean channel, but rely on pedals for dirt. I would like a warmer dirt tone.

What kind of pre-amp tubes would you recommend to replace the factory pre-amp tubes? Or, will swapping out the tubes make a big enough difference for the cost?

Thanks.

You should try a set of Greenbacks with this amp. It's the biggest improvement you can do it.

• Members

I re-valved my C50 recently with JJ's EL84's in the power section and a Tungsol 12AX7 in V1, JJ ECC803S in V2 and Sovtek 12AX7LPS in V3 cause thats what they recommended over at the Peavey forum. Cleans are sweet as a nut, overdrive channel is tight, smooth and throaty which suits the punky stuff I play. Don't need to use any overdrive/booster/distortion/EQ pedals any more. I can really recommend this set up.

...and I'm still trying to wrap my brain around why Peavey forum guys would recommend using a Sovtek tube in an amp at all. Is it for COST reasons?

Sovtek may be a decent tube, but why not use a good tube like Tung-Sol, Mullard, JJ?

• Members

...and I'm still trying to wrap my brain around why Peavey forum guys would recommend using a Sovtek tube in an amp at all. Is it for COST reasons?

Sovtek may be a decent tube, but why not use a good tube like Tung-Sol, Mullard, JJ?

I'm sure they are referring to the Sovtek 12AX7LPS. These are high quality tubes, and work well for the phase inverter. I wouldn't recommend it in any other position, (nor would anybody else, for that matter). They're not "cheap", either. There's a big difference in the different Sovteks. Some are cheap, budget tubes, but the LPS makes a great phase inverter.

And, in case you didn't know Mullards, Electro Harmonix and Tungsold ARE SOVTEKS. They're all made in the same SOVTEK/Reflector factory, under New Sensor ownership. That's why they're all bright, & grainy.

• Members

Tested/burned in....yes.

Balanced......waste of money.

Matched......on output tubes, yes, but don't waste your money on matched preamp tubes.

exactly, on all counts. My personal favorite in budget EL84s is the old Ei if you can find healthy ones of the correct value.

Archived