Are V30 and Greenbacks in a 4x12 Closed Cab a Good Combination?

DTrane

• Members
I'd say no. The vintage 30's are more efficient and will seem louder esp since they also have the

mid bump.

What does this matter? Both will flavor the tone. The V30 may have a dominate role in some frequencies and the GB will in others.

• Members

I'd say no. The vintage 30's are more efficient and will seem louder esp since they also have the

mid bump.

True, but try them in the cab and see, depends on the amp and the EQ pushing to the speakers. You can also try putting both greenbacks at the top of the cab and V30's at the bottom. X pattern is awesome, but its only effective when the speakers are matched properly, so is SBS (side by side). Top& bottom works best with a slant cab too, but will work fine with a standard.

• Members

I don't think you'll hear much of the greenback though.

Yep. I have done the v30/GB X pattern and the V30 killz the GB. Domination is a good description. I love the GB but they don't mix well with the V30 IMO.

I have a pair of WGS Invaders coming monday. They are a 50w clone of the GB. Curious to see if they mix any better with a V30. I can let u dudes know how it turns out........if you care.

• Members

True, but try them in the cab and see, depends on the amp and the EQ pushing to the speakers.
You can also try putting both greenbacks at the top of the cab and V30's at the bottom.
X pattern is awesome, but its only effective when the speakers are matched properly, so is SBS (side by side). Top& bottom works best with a slant cab too, but will work fine with a standard.

I need to try that.

• Members

V30 and G12H30 are a better mix efficiency wise.

And also work well if you want a full range cab - scooped mids and enhanced bass+treble from the H30, mid spike from the V30.

That said, I've done a bit of speaker mixing over the last 18 months and honestly I don't think there's much point now. I'd rather have a cab of identical speakers so you can dial in a tone that works with that speaker voicing, rather than having to compromise to get something that works with both speakers.

Mixing speakers makes sense if you want a bigger sonic footprint, but in a band mix there's rarely any need for that. I'd rather enjoy the character of one kind of speaker in the cab.

• Members

i can't imagine it: here's why.

greenbacks: softish bass

v30's: softish bass

greenbacks: texturally wonderful-- but FR limited. loads o' mids.. but soft.

v30's: texturally aggressive and in no way soft. anywhere. save the bottom.

greenbacks: sometimes toppy, sometimes not.

v30's: always super gritty in the upper mids.

poorly matched efficiencies.

MAYBE in some circumstance someplace this would make for a good combo, but i can scarce imagine that circumstance. i can think of a lot better matches-- but if you want all midrange.. hell-- that'd do it.

• Members

Well, if you get a chance to try it, I'd be interested to come back here and read your post about how you like it.

I've seen quite a few folks on here pushing that mix.

Personally as awesome as it can sound I've gotten out of mixing speakers for 2 reasons:

1) Like Cirrus said, having to compromise in how you dial in the amp. Sometimes you'll just fight and fight the amp if the match isn't a good fit. Presence being a good example here, some speakers sound great with a ton of it, some become ice picks.

2) LIVE. Live live live. If you're a big touring band with your own soundman mixing speakers is fine I suppose because the soundman can mic them both and put them properly in the mix.

Now for the rest/most of us when you're getting miced they only do one speaker. So you're only getting half your sound out there anyway. Not only that but you have dialed in the whole rig standing to the mix of the speakers not the sound of the single speaker that is miced. See #1 for why this might suck.

Now if you just have to mix I highly recommend the V30/H30 combo. It just sounds outright sick. The efficiencies match so neither dominates and they just create a great CRUNCH together.

Of all the mixes I ever tried this is was the best.

All that said I used to have a VHT 4x12 that came with the V30/Greenback mix.

VHT put the greenies on top and V30s on bottom. I eventually put them in an X and that was a mistake.

I did a vid of it at the time with my Voodoo DSL 100, I'm not a fan of it really but here you go.

[video=youtube;v2Bl8lLMtPk]

Archived