BS about Angus and Malcolm Young's Amps

LesPaulCustom79

• Members

Alot has been written online that Malcolm plays through a couple of old Marshall Super Lead 100's and Angus plays through a really old beat up Marshall JTM45 Plexi miked under the stage, and one Marshall Super Lead 100 on stage, blah, blah, blah.

Total BULLCRAP!!! You don't play huge arenas with a couple of beat up vintage amps.

Malcolm uses (6) Marshall Super Lead 100 amps using EL-34 power tubes, (4) Late 70's Marshall JMP MkII 2203 Master Volume 160 watt amps using 6550 power tubes, and (2) WIZARD 180 Watt Master Volume Custom Amps using KT-88 power tubes. Super Leads are cranked and the Master Volume Amps set to moderate gain and pretty much cranked. One half of the amps are in use with one identical mirror image backup for each amp used. Basically (3) Super Lead 100's, (2) JMP MkII Master Volumes, and (1) WIZARD are in use at the same time for clean tones mixed with medium gain crunch tones. His 4x12 cabinets use Celestion G12H-30's for good bottom end and that midrange crunch breakup. Some cabinets have Celestion G12T-75's for extra bottom end and smooth high end. Settings: Pres=0 Bass=8 Mids=5 Treble=7 Gain=5 Vol=10

Angus uses a similar arsenal of amps to Malcolm except he uses Celestion G12M Greenback speakers for more midrange to cut through the heavy AC/DC mix and controls his extra boost with his SG Volume Knob.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'll bet you money that only one or two of those amps are being used at any given time, and the rest are backups.

There's plenty of touring guitarists that don't use amps at all, and run through modellers or speaker sims. Alex Lifeson plays arenas every day, and his H&K heads run through palmer speaker sims. Geddy doesn't even use amps, he's got a bunch of rotisserie ovens for his backline.

• Members

The photo was taken backstage during the Black Ice Tour. Malcolm has several Marshall Super Lead 100's on stage, but I think they were just stage props with the actual amps in use backstage, controlled by a guitar tech. In the late 1970's Malcolm and Angus used (4) Marshall JMP MkII 2203 Master Volume amp stacks each (See photo taken in Atlanta during the Highway to Hell Tour).

• Members
I'll bet you money that only one or two of those amps are being used at any given time, and the rest are backups.

If you notice in the backstage photo all ten (10) amp power lights are on. At least 5 of those are in use pushing some of the stacks on stage and 5 are on standby to be routed in, if an amp blows a tube. There is also the (2) WIZARD Amp ATA Rack. He probably uses a certain combination of amps for older Bon Scott Era material and other combinations with Master Vol. amps for the heavier 80's/90's material.

Is this photo are the 2 Marshall Super Lead 100 amps on stage which might be props.

• Members

If you notice in the backstage photo all ten (10) amp power lights are on. At least 5 of those are in use pushing some of the stacks on stage and 5 are on standby to be routed in, if an amp blows a tube. There is also the (2) WIZARD Amp ATA Rack. He
probably
uses a certain combination of amps for older Bon Scott Era material and other combinations with Master Vol. amps for the heavier 80's/90's material.

Is this photo are the 2 Marshall Super Lead 100 amps on stage which
might
be props.

Guess what? You're guessing :idea: Your opinion on this isn't fact anymore than whoever's opinion you're rallying against by posting all this in the first place was. :thu:

• Members

I know AC/DC's head & cab configuration is different depending on the venue.

Malcolm has a power amp made by Wizard that has 12 6550's in it, don't even know how many watts 400?, 500?

He also uses a combo of Marshall & Mesa cabs some with Greenbacks, some with V30's.

I know Angus uses basically straight signal into 1959' 100 watt Mashalls using his Gibson pups for distortion, again into Marshall cabs, some V30's, some Greenbacks.

• Members

The photo was taken backstage during the Black Ice Tour. Malcolm has several Marshall Super Lead 100's on stage, but I think they were just stage props with the actual amps in use backstage, controlled by a guitar tech. In the late 1970's Malcolm and Angus used (4) Marshall JMP MkII 2203 Master Volume amp stacks each (See photo taken in Atlanta during the Highway to Hell Tour).

That really isn't different from any other rock guitarist. George Lynch, Eddie Van Halen, Zakk Wylde, etc. Backline of full stacks as stage props is pretty much the norm . . .

Archived