No announcement yet.

BS about Angus and Malcolm Young's Amps

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BS about Angus and Malcolm Young's Amps

Alot has been written online that Malcolm plays through a couple of old Marshall Super Lead 100's and Angus plays through a really old beat up Marshall JTM45 Plexi miked under the stage, and one Marshall Super Lead 100 on stage, blah, blah, blah.
    Total BULLCRAP!!! You don't play huge arenas with a couple of beat up vintage amps.

Malcolm uses (6) Marshall Super Lead 100 amps using EL-34 power tubes, (4) Late 70's Marshall JMP MkII 2203 Master Volume 160 watt amps using 6550 power tubes, and (2) WIZARD 180 Watt Master Volume Custom Amps using KT-88 power tubes. Super Leads are cranked and the Master Volume Amps set to moderate gain and pretty much cranked. One half of the amps are in use with one identical mirror image backup for each amp used. Basically (3) Super Lead 100's, (2) JMP MkII Master Volumes, and (1) WIZARD are in use at the same time for clean tones mixed with medium gain crunch tones. His 4x12 cabinets use Celestion G12H-30's for good bottom end and that midrange crunch breakup. Some cabinets have Celestion G12T-75's for extra bottom end and smooth high end. Settings: Pres=0 Bass=8 Mids=5 Treble=7 Gain=5 Vol=10

Angus uses a similar arsenal of amps to Malcolm except he uses Celestion G12M Greenback speakers for more midrange to cut through the heavy AC/DC mix and controls his extra boost with his SG Volume Knob.
    "I told my brother, don't baby the thing, hit it hard with your f#&king pick"
    Malcolm Young

Gretsch Malcolm Young Signature 2010
    Gibson Les Paul Custom 1979
    Fender FSR Butterscotch BG Tele 2010
    Marshall JMP Master Vol.(1978) w/Marshall 4x12
    Marshall JCM900 MkIII (1990) w/Marshall 4x12
    Radial:BigShot EFx True Bypass Switch
    Wampler:Plexi Drive(v1)
    Barber Direct Drive(v3)
    Boss:TU-3 Tuner
    VS:Route 808(v2)
    VS:Liquid Chorus(v2)
    Morley:A/B Amp Switch

Are you mad
    MFPOMFS

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪ ♪♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪♫♪

Comment

A picture is worth 1,000 words.
      Malcolm Young

Barber Direct Drive(v3)

Comment

A picture is worth 1,000 words.

That is the case, but your pics lack any form of corroboration.

Can you say where your info is coming from and who took the pics etc?
        Electric: Gibson LP Classic, Fender American Deluxe Strat, Vintage AV6P

Acoustic: Yamaha APX500

Comment

And?
          http://www.youtube.com/user/primeholy

Originally Posted by decode6

Way to go primeholy, you've just killed Independent George.

Originally Posted by Arpanoid

I was meditating on the finer things of life and then I realized that PrimeHoly is the god of this forum. For real. no troll.

Originally Posted by eudaimonia02912

Just think: There must be thread ideas that pop in Charveldan's head, but which, after some thought, he rejects and decides not to post. Imagine how bizarre those ideas must be, if they don't even meet Charveldan's standards.

Comment

Well, I think that's super.
            The Hot Rod Owner's Club

Dirt for life.

Comment

I'll bet you money that only one or two of those amps are being used at any given time, and the rest are backups.

There's plenty of touring guitarists that don't use amps at all, and run through modellers or speaker sims. Alex Lifeson plays arenas every day, and his H&K heads run through palmer speaker sims. Geddy doesn't even use amps, he's got a bunch of rotisserie ovens for his backline.

Comment

i thought this was common knowledge amongst us guitar message board geeks?

Comment

The photo was taken backstage during the Black Ice Tour. Malcolm has several Marshall Super Lead 100's on stage, but I think they were just stage props with the actual amps in use backstage, controlled by a guitar tech. In the late 1970's Malcolm and Angus used (4) Marshall JMP MkII 2203 Master Volume amp stacks each (See photo taken in Atlanta during the Highway to Hell Tour).
                  Malcolm Young

Barber Direct Drive(v3)

Comment

i thought this was common knowledge amongst us guitar message board geeks?

+1
                    Originally Posted by exafro

I can alternate pick like a mofo, and it has nothing to do with practice.

Originally Posted by carlstretch

My kids are older now and have all shot hundreds of rounds thru my shotguns and handguns. They know how to use them and I'm not worried about them playing cowboys and indians with them.

Originally Posted by redeye5

you know whats classy as ****************? ****************ing your wife in the ass and telling the internet beforehand!

Comment

[QUOTE=Mogwix;44009952]I'll bet you money that only one or two of those amps are being used at any given time, and the rest are backups.

If you notice in the backstage photo all ten (10) amp power lights are on. At least 5 of those are in use pushing some of the stacks on stage and 5 are on standby to be routed in, if an amp blows a tube. There is also the (2) WIZARD Amp ATA Rack. He probably uses a certain combination of amps for older Bon Scott Era material and other combinations with Master Vol. amps for the heavier 80's/90's material.

Is this photo are the 2 Marshall Super Lead 100 amps on stage which might be props.
                      Malcolm Young

Barber Direct Drive(v3)

Comment

I'll bet you money that only one or two of those amps are being used at any given time, and the rest are backups.

If you notice in the backstage photo all ten (10) amp power lights are on. At least 5 of those are in use pushing some of the stacks on stage and 5 are on standby to be routed in, if an amp blows a tube. There is also the (2) WIZARD Amp ATA Rack. He probably uses a certain combination of amps for older Bon Scott Era material and other combinations with Master Vol. amps for the heavier 80's/90's material.

Is this photo are the 2 Marshall Super Lead 100 amps on stage which might be props.

Guess what? You're guessing Your opinion on this isn't fact anymore than whoever's opinion you're rallying against by posting all this in the first place was.

Comment

So, they have bunch of Marshalls and some other amps. Cool story bro.
                          Honestly...this is not music... it is hatred and self loathing expressed with loudness.

Comment

Geddy doesn't even use amps, he's got a bunch of rotisserie ovens for his backline.

Comment

Just because the power light is on doesn't mean they're on. Also, many bands will have fake head on stange. Nothing inside the amp, but the power light is rigged to work.
                              "These riffs were built to last a life time". Keith Richards

"All the women in the world want a phony rock star who plays guitar". John Cougar Mellencamp

"
                              If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are." Alice Cooper

Comment

Working...
                              X