OT: palm mutes.....difference between bridges?

Killzone

• Members

Dude WTF?

I thought you knew I can NOT {censored}ING PALM MUTE ON A RAISED BRIDGE!!!!!:mad:

I love Les Pauls and can't play them for {censored}. I have zero speed and sound like dog ass on any raised bridge.

Fender style bridges and Floyds I have no problems on. :facepalm:

• Members

Dude WTF?

I thought you knew I can NOT {censored}ING PALM MUTE ON A RAISED BRIDGE!!!!!
:mad:

I love Les Pauls and can't play them for {censored}. I have zero speed and sound like dog ass on any raised bridge.

Fender style bridges and Floyds I have no problems on.
:facepalm:

Yea, fixed don't sound as good as string through (tuneomatic), then floyds sounding the best. Maybe its the feel.

• Members

Funny I wondered the same thing as the original post. I don't know for sure if one could record palm muting themes with two similar guitars with different bridges and actually pinpoint a difference under heavy gain.

Still, I prefer floyds by a mile for this particular type of playing. Name it how you like: the way the hand touches the strings/rests on the guitar at the same time. And for me it is, you play like you feel most of the time.

Also it is kind of weird but even acoustically I have not found a tune-o-matic guitar that doesn't go "boing-ghhh" at the end of the note on some bass frequencies when you palm mute. Again I don't know if this passes through the amp so much but I hear it and feel it. Many claim trem guitars rob the frequency spectrum of some bass content and sustain of the guitar. Well, good for them comparatively because that makes them faster in my oppinion and tighter.

Mr hetfield would disagree perhaps but he uses a known active EMG pickup with razor sharp sound anyway!!!

• Members

Two schools of thoughts for me

Firstly, palm mutes come in different types. You can vary your pm quite significantly dependent on where you mute. Whether your palm muting a riff, or if you're palm muting your sweep, you need to be able to get those pms just right and to the right amount. If you want to try it, palm mute normally, then move your hand back and forth to see what you can get out of a palm mute. In a nutshell, I've consistently found floyds to be a lot nicer to PM on than anything else. It's just the right height and I find the pickups and associated ornaments tend to be more out of the way and neater.

Secondly, however, if you're a good guitarist, your technique should be able to readily adapt to whatever guitar you're playing. I've always felt it's good to have a number 1 guitar that you play 90% of the time; It does help to really learn a neck and keep on it as I find a familiar neck so nice to play.

• Members

I don't notice any difference in sound, since I can palm mute very easily on both my TOM equipped guitar, and my floyd'd one. Which is more comfortable though? The floyd. Close to the body, and flat idk it just feels better to me. Only thing is playing live, if you are really into it, and digging in hard, sometimes you have a tendency to have a heavier right hand then you think, and if it's back far enough towards the bridge, you end up pushing the floyd down, which throws you outta tune, etc. Lol. Which I was guilty of for a while.

• Members

I tend to use both types. Both do feel different sure, but both are equally fine to me. Granted, I kinda prefer the flatter feel of my Floyd or Kahler equipped guitars, BUT it doesn't seem to effect my playing in any degree that I notice.

Also, it's not unheard of for a guitarist to prefer the feel of a Floyd Rose over a fixed bridge, and not even use the bar. I know Dino Cazares has stated as much in an interview or two.

• Members

TOM seems like it has a deeper, slower attack than trem bridges. Also, on a strat, there is a noticable difference in sound between the bridge flush with the body and floating. When the trem is flush the attack seems fast, very punchy in the mids. When it's floating the attack slows down, but you get that spongy kind of slinky feelng.

• Members

I think if you are hearing a difference, it probably has to do with where you are muting with each bridge. They arent built the same, so your hand might end up in a different place on one compared with another. Just gotta adjust. I noticed this with the ibanez trems v floyd trems v tunomatics.

• Members

I think if you are hearing a difference, it probably has to do with where you are muting with each bridge. They arent built the same, so your hand might end up in a different place on one compared with another. Just gotta adjust. I noticed this with the ibanez trems v floyd trems v tunomatics.

This is my take on things as well.

I don't get how you guys are saying you can't play TOM bridges. :poke:

Archived