Sombody School me in Boost Pedals

Nick H

• Members

Id like to get a nice boost pedal just to add some punch into my sound. I dont THINK I want actual distortion or gain because it might not blend with the distortion on my amp, Id rather have a nice clean boost to push the amp harder and get more gain from the amp. So I think I want just a clean boost that wont alter my tone, Ive seen some with tone and dynamic nobs and stuff and i dont really think i want any of that. the three that im looking at are MXR Boost/Line Driver, Earthquaker Black Eye Boost and the Lizard Leg Flying Dragon. Which is the best choice and why? Thanks, Nick.

• Members

How about schooling yourself? Go to Google and type in the name of the pedals. I'm sure you will get YouTube vids, reviews and audio samples of all the pedals you listed. Tone is subjective. What sounds good to someone here may not sound good to you.

Yea ive done that a bunch already but that wont tell you what works best, why it works or how it works. but anyway thanks for being a smart ass.

• Members

the CAE MXR Boost is a great choice. Bradshaw assures the MXR uses the same quality components he used in the original CAE.

Lots of guys at rigtalk like this pedal.

I use MXR/CAE as well and love it for lead boost, it really stands out in the mix.

I also like how it boosts my clean sound as well, tight and focussed.

Another clean boost I loved was Carl Martin Hot drive n boost, very transparent, but I didn't like the drive section so I just ditched it for the smaller size MXR/CAE.

• Members

I have an MK.4.23. I'd advise against it. "The most transparent boost ever made" but I actually find it to be too bright.

If you want to save some buck, the BBE Boosta Grande is an awesome awesome boost pedal. It actually fattens up your sound in every way you'd like it to and boosts your signal like crazy.

Wanna drop some dime, The Cleanness. nuff said.

• Members

I have an MK.4.23. I'd advise against it. "The most transparent boost ever made" but I actually find it to be too bright.

If you want to save some buck, the BBE Boosta Grande is an awesome awesome boost pedal. It actually fattens up your sound in every way you'd like it to and boosts your signal like crazy.

Wanna drop some dime, The Cleanness. nuff said.

This, I didnt like the MK....it seemed to add too much, to the point of me turning it down enough that it was on par with my MXR GT-OD, and I could not tell a difference. Shipped it back.

• Members

The cheapest you will find that gets the job done-

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/danelectro-dj14-fish-and-chips-7-band-eq-pedal

Plus, you can use it to control the tone besides it just being a clean boost. IMO every guitarist can find a good use for an eq pedal.

Otherwise I would either check out the Danelectro Transparent overdrive (version 1) or the Xotic RC booster. There's also loads of smaller company options, but I'd check over at the effects forum for that.

Archived