Fender Clean and Classic Marshall Crunch in one amp?

S J B

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well this is literally the #1 thing that most guitarists want. There are lots of manufacturers that claim to offer exactly this but in my experience they inevitably lean towards one over the other or they have their own thing going on. Whether a given model gets close enough to *you* is subjective but IMO no, no one's totally nailed that as well as having an actual marshall and fender side by side. That said, I find my xtc classic covers everything I want from both of those camps and then some but it definitely is bogner's spin on those sounds. And it still leans more towards marshall than fender because even though the clean channel essentially is a fender circuit, it's running through what is pretty much a plexi power amp. If I had 6L6s going into an open back 2X12 or 4X10 then I have no doubt it'd be closer for the fender stuff, but that would compromise the marshall stuff too.

• Members

If its tube drive you want, perhaps try one of the stereo poweramps out there... 6l6 on half el34 on the other. I dont think most can do this but it cant be terribly difficult for a good tech to figure out.

Ive been thinking about doing this to the mesa 50/50 for awhile now. My preamp is so close to making it happen but....6l6

• Members

Randall RM 50 with Blackface / SL+ modules

its a a 1x12 or a head...but its amazingly accurate.

Either this, the Tweaker or a custom head from Fargen with a Fender channel and a Marshall channel. Frenzel also makes some amps that have both Fenderish and Marshallish flavors, but some people claim it doesn't get close enough.

The fact of the matter is the amp you are looking for doesn't exist. You can get close, but I've never found an amp that does it spot on (including the Axe-fx).

• Members

Either this, the Tweaker or a custom head from Fargen with a Fender channel and a Marshall channel. Frenzel also makes some amps that have both Fenderish and Marshallish flavors, but some people claim it doesn't get close enough.

The fact of the matter is
the amp you are looking for doesn't exist
. You can get close, but I've never found an amp that does it spot on (including the Axe-fx).

This astounds me too. I mean maybe its just not possible with tubes.

• Members

Itd make too much sense i guess, too much too fast haha... Maybe the amp mfgs are milking us slow just like the tech mfgs ^ ^

Just need 3 channel with modern/vintage stuff and enough gain to push it on each: kt88, 6l6, el34. Each channel like another amp, master volumes on each. Throw in assignable diodes/rectifier or something classy for the metal people. Your company is loaded. Swimming in money pools!

• Members

This astounds me too. I mean maybe its just not possible with tubes.

Maybe. I'm still hoping for some amp genius to finally figure it out.

I think Egnater helped crack part of the code by experimenting with tone stacks and preamps with his modular series and then the Tweaker.

Beyond different tube types, I think the real issue is you need power tube distortion with the Marshall side (so you need some kind of power scaling if you want lower volumes), but then you also need tubes to run clean for the fender side.

Archived