Should I: Sell my '66 BF Super reverb to get a Dr. Z Maz Jr.

AzunigaToo

• Members

The thing is, I have a garage full of vintage amps. Ok, only 20 and of those maybe 12 to 15 are real vintage pieces. But I already have a '65 Princeton Reverb and a '66 Deluxe Reverb for the BF tone. I rarely, (never) have gigged the Super. I have never even taken it to jam with. At local jams or with my casual cover band (I am now 50) I will take a small to medium size amps (SF Deluxe or even my Blues Junior). I have 2 SF twins and just landed an original '77 Mesa Boogie Mark I. So for Big loud tone it is probably 3rd or 4th in line.

With 2 Deluxes and 2 SF twins (I will probably sell one of them) when will I play the Super Reverb? I know it is THE Grail to some and it is cool 'having' 3 blackfaces but come on at some point it feels more like hording. :confused:

I will always 'want' more amps so I might get more satisfaction getting a new amp that having and just holding a great one.

Will I kick myself in the Ass next week and forever and ever? :facepalm::mad:

Oh, I will sell it for just a little over what i paid for it. It is worth more but as a way of appeasing the guitar and amp gods I am willing to go easy on the buyer to spread good guitar mojo!!! :rolleyes:

• Members

See that's the thing nothing that will get me that much return in one move. I have other stuff but I would have to sell a few to equal and then I lose some options that I use more so than the Super.

2 SF Twins - fantastic Tone - Moma once told me all you need is a Tele and a Twin

1 SF Deluxe Reverb

1 SF Bassman Ten

1 Band Master Reverb head (great 2 6L6 Fender tone in a head)

Another Band master Reverb Head in a 15" Brown cabinet and brown faceplate. This I have gigged with and got great clean spank and it takes my Fulltone pedals well

1 Mesa Boogie '77 Mark I

1 60's Gibson discover (brown tolex)

1 60's Guild 1x12 2 6L6 monster tone machine

1 fender Musicmaster bass 2 6v6 1x12 killer guitar small amp

1 1x12 2 6L6 MusicMan RD

Other than the Boogie nothing is worth $1600 to $1900 dollars. If I start mixing and match to get the money I lose too much tones options. One pretty good options is 1 Twin (maybe $600-$800) then I( have some old Guild and Gibson brown suitcase stuff i should be thinking of offing I guess. Too much work...

• Members

See post just before yours hell here it is again..

See that's the thing nothing that will get me that much return in one move. I have other stuff but I would have to sell a few to equal and then I lose some options that I use more so than the Super.

2 SF Twins - fantastic Tone - Moma once told me all you need is a Tele and a Twin

1 SF Deluxe Reverb

1 SF Bassman Ten

1 Band Master Reverb head (great 2 6L6 Fender tone in a head)

Another Band master Reverb Head in a 15" Brown cabinet and brown faceplate. This I have gigged with and got great clean spank and it takes my Fulltone pedals well

1 Mesa Boogie '77 Mark I

1 60's Gibson discover (brown tolex)

1 60's Guild 1x12 2 6L6 monster tone machine

1 fender Musicmaster bass 2 6v6 1x12 killer guitar small amp

1 1x12 2 6L6 MusicMan RD

Other than the Boogie nothing is worth $1600 to $1900 dollars. If I start mixing and match to get the money I lose too much tones options. One pretty good options is 1 Twin (maybe $600-$800) then I( have some old Guild and Gibson brown suitcase stuff i should be thinking of offing I guess. Too much work...

• Members

nice collection ! And pics ! out of all those I'd probably let that Super go to , big ass thing it is and it's my understanding they can be problematic, and you have no el84 amps so yeah . A friend has a Maz jr. and it rocks big time . I'm a fan , I have a Air brake the Dr builds things right . Though I do very much like the Rt 66 :cool:

• Members

I'll set up some pics later after the kids do Halloween in Sierra Madre. The Blues Junior runs on el84s but I see what you mean. The BJ is trying to do Fender on el84s but that can really be juiced up like only the doctor can do. For a while I thought the Route 66 was going to be it also.

You also get the issue with Super being too big and bulky to carry around and set up. It is also so damn loud but Cleans with Pedals do shine.

I should just do it an not look back - I mean I will have a Maz Jr and a little more room in my garage. I won't even miss the Super unfortunately, so it is like getting a free Maz Jr NR. There are a bunch of amps i wont miss if I sell them aI also have a 2x12 Marshall JCM 800 heavly modded to run at 25w and 50w. Sounds amazing with Humbuckers but again even more bulky than the Twins I like to gig with. Yup time to turn around some gear for Docvtor Z and a Gibson ES-339 I can't really do Les Pauls for some reason. I play mostly Telecasters.

Pictures of the Amps coming.

AZ

Archived