DR Z Maz Jr or 65 Amps Empire

AzunigaToo

• Members

I knwo the Empire is $3k and jsut about twice to money. But the 3 Marshall sounds at lower volumes sounds really useful. I will probably stick to my plan of getting the Maz Jr NR since I can swing that soon (probably this week if I sell my BF super Reverb).

Any thought on these 2 amps?

• Members

Well let me put it in perspective (a reality check). I can get a Maz Jr this week for $1649 or wait who knows how long to get $3000 for the Empire. Did you know that? YES, $3000 American hard earned Dollars. Now yes I think it is worth it for 3 classic Marshal tones but Geeze that is a lot of mula!.

Also, I have been Jonesing for a Dr. Z for years and now I have the means to get it. I am selling a '66 Blackface Fender Super Reverb.

So with this Dr. Z now or Empire months later and no means to buy another amp for probably years. Would you still wait for the Empire?

• Members

That's what I wanted to hear. I hope it can get 'some' clean headroom for a Tele Spank and Bark but the crunch on the demos is incredible - Right? Do you own one?

tons of clean headroom actually , it's a blessing if you like a good pedal , my geetar player has a Jr w/ 'verb and I've used it and heard it countless hrs . Its a great amp IMO .

• Members

Dude, I have only heard the demos - I have never actually plugged in. An no I don't expect I will be unhappy. But doesn't the Empire sound just killer too? At about twice the price - probably not that killer IMHO!

Hey man. Yes it sounds nice...but jebus...like you said not 2x the price lol. Plus the Z looks so much more timeless and classy IMO.

• Members

Not as much clean headroom on the NR Maz Jr., fwiw. Bright & crunchy is pretty good description. LOUD AS %#@! is dead-on accurate.
:o
For me, it was unusable without an attenuator (a Swart Night Light worked great
:thu:
).

Hm, interesting - I thought the NR had more bite and as expected at the price of some clean headroom. The problem is the Reverb version is a little more money. Can I get the total crunch from the Reverb version as the NR version? It might be worht the wait for 2 or so more hundred dollars?

I am hoping the Master volume will eliminate the attenuator need. I know at cost of tone and I also know Dr Z makes a Lite Att. but that cost $250 more or so. All factors in to the Money/Tone ration-equation I suppose. Ideally a Reverb version with the attenuator then is a possibility. I'll price that now.

Thanks - at the end of the day I should be very happy with just the Maz Jr NR my 52' RI Tele and a cable right? Momma always said - keep it clean and use the right wood!

• Members

I bought the Maz Jr. NR because I wanted more crunch, because it had an effects loop, and because it had a master volume. It turned out that, in *my* experience, the master volume was pretty useless, because to get the amp to "give up the goods," the master had to be opened up at least to 9-10 o'clock, and by that point, the amp was WAY too loud for home/practice use. The amp sounded best (to me) with the preamp dimed and the the master around 11 o'clock. GLORIOUS Marshally rock tone at that setting, but capable of sparkly cleans if I switched to single coil pickups & rolled back my guitar's volume just a bit. The most touch sensitive amp I've played to day. HOWEVER, set up like that, I couldn't even use the amp with a band without *some* attenuation.

Setting the amp up for a cleaner basic sound allows you to open the master up more before getting to those deafening volumes, but I was never quite as happy with the dirt pedal --> clean(ish) Maz as I was just running the Maz set for crunch & riding the guitar's volume.

Also, with the preamp up like that, the signal coming out of the effects send jack was WAY too hot for my pedals, so the loop was useless (for my set up) as well.

But damn if that amp didn't have LOVELY tone, though... :cry:

• Members

I've owned both and still have the Maz. I am a huge supporter of 65AMPS, I've had allot of them and have The Producer on order. I am by no means dis-ing 65, but I would go with the Maz, it is more flexible. I cuts like no amp that I have owned. It is rich, clear and crunchy. It does Marshall, Vox, and Fender. It blends them if you like. It is loud but I have used it in small clubs with no problem. It loves pedals. I consider the Maz Jr NR to be a modern classic...and I feel if you can't make it happen with a Maz, you ain't makin it happen period!

I tried to like the Empire, but it just didn't have enough life for me.

~Joe

• Members

I've owned both and still have the Maz. I am a huge supporter of 65AMPS, I've had allot of them and have The Producer on order. I am by no means dis-ing 65, but I would go with the Maz, it is more flexible. I cuts like no amp that I have owned. It is rich, clear and crunchy. It does Marshall, Vox, and Fender. It blends them if you like. It is loud but I have used it in small clubs with no problem. It loves pedals. I consider the Maz Jr NR to be a modern classic...and I feel if you can't make it happen with a Maz, you ain't makin it happen period!

I tried to like the Empire, but it just didn't have enough life for me.

~Joe

Now We are gettin' somewhere. Wow, that is quite a testament to the Mighty Maz - the NZ no less. Modern Classic indeed!! I'll own one soon BUT....

...I just can't do it. I can't sell my ALL-Original 1966 Blackface Super Reverb to pay for the Maz. I never use it, I don't play it out, or at practice but it is beautiful to look at and sounds amazing. So I horde. I have 4 kids that are playing music that will one day walk in to the attic (after I am dead an gone) a say 'Wow' Look what treasures Dad had in here!!!

Archived