Why Do You Need More Than 15 Watts?

Stonedtone

• Members

I've been playing live in that way for quite a long time. Playing outside is different, but I've never had a problem keeping up with my 15 watters.

I know everyone will point to headroom. I get the headroom I need. It doesn't have to be killer loud. I just like pushing the tubes. That's the tone I go for. You can't do that in most clubs with a 100W

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
  • Members
  • Members

Because people don't get the visceral release of throwing up devil horns and screaming "ROCK N ROCK LIKE A MUTHER{censored}ER!" when lightly fondled by a 15 watt combo.

Yeah, but a bunch of old guys in cargo shorts and Hawaiian shirts will come up to you and comment on your tone if it is a boutique 15 watt combo.

• Members

meh-- you guys're also too jaded about needing big watt halfstacks too. there's room for both. a tack hammer and a sledge are still both hammers.. but they're not for the same purpose.

So you're saying that sometimes one needs more than 15 watts.

• Members

So you're saying that sometimes one needs more than 15 watts.

hell yes i am. i personally probably don't.. but you do run out of steam for big gnarly cleans with 15 watts now and again.

all amps have the potential to be great... just at different volume levels. pick the appropriate one for the job seems to be a good rule.. i think a lot of guys who rock splatty rock tones at low volume with 100 watters would find they might like their sounds better if they stepped back in output... and i think a lotta boutiquey guys'd have way better clarity if they stepped it up a scoch sometimes too.

• Members

If you're playing an outside solo gig in front of several hundred people with no PA, then you might need more than 15 watts.

Especially if you play clean.

The low notes need lots of wattage.

WTF is that? An outdoor "solo" gig in front of several hundred people with no P.A.??

First off, that's a {censored}ty gig, second, what the hell are you singing through?

Archived