Hum are awesome

hugbot

• Members

interesting.

I have this pedal, and it didn't sound like Hum.
:(

Did you play it into a crack to {censored} vintage Orange amp? Also, wasn't the Boss SF-1, just the DS-1 with the feedback circuit added? I believe the other guitarist was using an Ibanez Smash Box. It seems like cheap gainy distortion pedals into huge 100 watt tube amps make a pretty good wall of noise.

• Members

Hum and Failure top out my favorites list.

Tim Lash was using a Jackson Soloist (now, but back then it was a bastard Gibson/Fender hybrid) through a Tech 21 Sans Amp and Ibanez PL-5 Power Lead (see my sig) into a Hiwatt. Matt Talbot ran his Gibson through a Boss Super Feedbacker and Distortion through a dual Orange set up. There were a metric {censored} ton of different equipment used on Downward is Heavenward, but that's the majority of it. I'll link to photos of their pedalboards from the Hum reunion shows in Chicago last year.

• Members

Read about the PL-5 and its Soundtank brethren here. The Power Lead is not a pretty pedal, but it brings the Hum tone. It's loud, hissy, metallic, and almost entirely unusable. I purchased a mod kit from Pedal Hacker that "fixed" the pedal somewhat (more usable distortion, lower noise floor, blah blah blah), and while the pedal is more well-rounded now, it's lost that turbulent low-end that so defined Hum's massive walls-of-sound. I'm glad I've got another un-modded PL-5 though.

Also, those switching mechanisms are the worst. Probably the most unreliable pedal I've ever used.

• Members

Wow, alot of love for Hum - very uncharacteristic for the maps forum to be united - my attention is perked. The first song had kinda whiny vocals ... can somebody recommend me something else by them & point me in the right direction so I can get a better representation - thx.

• Members

Wow, alot of love for Hum - very uncharacteristic for the maps forum to be united - my attention is perked. The first song had kinda whiny vocals ... can somebody recommend me something else by them & point me in the right direction so I can get a better representation - thx.

[video=youtube;btPGPxmDXXM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btPGPxmDXXM

• Members

You either learn to love Matt Talbotts vocals or ignore them sorry.

He's contributed to Open Hand's new album recently, another very underrated band:

[video=youtube;egu7MHUtx1w]

[video=youtube;I67ThDYhk7g]

• Members

Wow, they've been around a while.
)

Never heard of them or even space rock as a category before. I don't typically like music where it's all about soulful lyrics & musicianship takes a back seat ... so it's not for me. Not bad, just pretty much meh ...

They're definitely not for everyone -- several of my girlfriends have all-out loathed my love for Hum, citing monotonous vocals and just. So. Damn. LOUD.

Personally, I dig their brand of nerd rock. It's like the music Peter Parker would have made had he been bitten by a radioactive guitar instead of a spider.

(Wait, what?)

Archived