Tele Experts needed...I'm going in!

Stevetemp

• Members

I'm thinking a Tele is an essential...looking to get a basic, classic model. Spend between 3 and 500. Used is fine- preferred even.

What kinds of things should I look for? MIM okay? (might be necessary, given my price range). Colors? (I like wine red/sunburst). Swamp ash- natural finish? Can I just buy one on-line and expect decent play?

Just looking for some tips and tricks for shopping. Not looking for a #1 (unless the magic grips :love: )

• Members

i was gonna go for the wonderful MIM or CV pine teles but decided to save a little extra and opt for a made in the USA std tele..........i got a bargain 2011 off ebay and all i can say is WOW! wait an extra month or two and get yerself a guitar for life

ps nothing at all wrong with MIM or CVs

001.jpg

• Members

i have done a few things to that tele since the pic was taken......swapped out them 'orrible bent steel saddles,darkened the fretboard a little with some lemon oil,bought a set of BAREKNUCKLES flat 50s,.022 PIO cap,RUTTERS slant control plate............plays like a DREAM now

• Members

I personally love my Agile TC-1200 Tele copy... I tried a bunch of different MIM Teles as well as some of the Classic Vibe stuff from Squire, but I didn't really jive with them. A lot of them sounded great (specifically the MIM Baja Tele) but I just didn't jive with their necks. However, I really loved the American Standard and American Deluxe necks so much better, I couldn't justify buying a MIM when I know I wouldn't be as happy. I took a chance on the Agile, having never played one or even had seen one in person. Fortunately for me, I got a great feeling neck, that was way more comfortable to me than the MIM Teles. I would say that the quality of the Agile, as well as playability, to me felt more similar to the USA Fenders than the MIM Fenders. Of course, this is my opinion, however everyone that I let play it comments on how easy it is to maneuver around the neck and the tone that is has. Granted, I did upgrade all the hardware to what I prefer as well as different pickups. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Agile Tele copy if I ever look to get another Tele style guitar...

Here she is...

IMG_1247.jpg

Cole

• Members
I personally love my Agile TC-1200 Tele copy... I tried a bunch of different MIM Teles as well as some of the Classic Vibe stuff from Squire, but I didn't really jive with them. A lot of them sounded great (specifically the MIM Baja Tele) but I just didn't jive with their necks. However, I really loved the American Standard and American Deluxe necks so much better, I couldn't justify buying a MIM when I know I wouldn't be as happy. I took a chance on the Agile, having never played one or even had seen one in person. Fortunately for me, I got a great feeling neck, that was way more comfortable to me than the MIM Teles. I would say that the quality of the Agile, as well as playability, to me felt more similar to the USA Fenders than the MIM Fenders. Of course, this is my opinion, however everyone that I let play it comments on how easy it is to maneuver around the neck and the tone that is has. Granted, I did upgrade all the hardware to what I prefer as well as different pickups. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Agile Tele copy if I ever look to get another Tele style guitar...

Here she is...

IMG_1247.jpg

Cole

+10000000 for agiles.

i just got the AL 2000 and am shocked with the quality and sound for 225 freaking dollars. i keep thinking i am going to find something wrong with it or i missed something or there must be some reason why they are so cheap. "did i accidently not read the find print and agreed to mutliple payments of 225??" hahaha.

they are sweet guitars for the money, i have a strong feeling i will be getting another asap.

• Members

Look for a pre 2006 Highway One model. I got mine for $400 used

Nitro finish

Made in US

American Standard neck

Vintage hardware

AlNiCo 3 pickups

Extremely hard to beat for the money.

This. Pound for pound, the best Tele deal you'll find.

I'm a HUGE believer in the thinner, nitro finishes, especially on Strats & Teles. Those guitars just sound more resonant, snappy & "alive" to me than their thicker, poly-finished counterparts.

• Members

But they are nothing like the Standard Series, which is what most mean when they say MIM.

The relicing sucks, but best feeling off the shelf Tele neck I've put my hands on.

Just my opinion.

well we share the same opinion of the roadworns, just thought it was funny you said you didnt like MIM and then listed a guitar made in mexico. but i know what you mean, i have a '72 deluxe roadworn. the neck is sweet and even though i hated the relic job it was the best sounding and playing one out of the 20 or so i played that day. the nitro finish is pretty sweet too.

• Members

Yeah, the new American Specials are kick ass too. They feel like the old highway ones I was talking about above.

I just acquired an American Special Sunburst-the thing is drop dead gorgeous with tons of "Barkety McBark and Twang. Loving it!

• Members

what are the qualities of A3? Haven't about that much for pickup magnets. Usually 2 or 5 with A4 occasionally.

mine are very low output, and open sounding. the resonate qualities of the guitar really shine through more than any other pickup I've used in the past. I had a2's in my old p90 SG, and a5's in several guitars throughout the years. attack is still very bold, however won't overdrive most of my amps when using the same settings from my other guitars. my strat with a5's is much higher output, and more midrangey. I can turn my Bandmaster up to 10 and the Tele will still come through clean while being woody and snappy.

for some reason the new Highway 1's come with high output pickups. both claim to be a3's, but the newer models are overwound while the older models are underwound. mine are particularly low output... I bought it used, so maybe they're not stock? they're far and away the best pickups I've ever used, so I never bothered messing with it.

• Members
i was gonna go for the wonderful MIM or CV pine teles but decided to save a little extra and opt for a made in the USA std tele..........i got a bargain 2011 off ebay and all i can say is WOW! wait an extra month or two and get yerself a guitar for life

ps nothing at all wrong with MIM or CVs

001.jpg

If that had a maple fretboard mmmmm

Archived