Fender Amp For Home. Highest Quality?

goslats

• Members

Model/year suggestions? Thinking of Fender sound. Something small gotta be tube. Clean is a must, even if it is old as the hills must look like new. A Fender smaller than a 1-12". I keep thinking about a Champ. I don't see them and so don't have a chance to choose between something familiar. I am not around all the different models to compare. So looking for suggestions! :cool:

• Members

Mustang. Glue some tubes to it and pretend they are working.

lol. Honestly this is a good option for home use, the Mustang does very well at fender tones. Having built in fx/reverb and the ability to have the amount of drive you want at the volumes you want is a great advantage.

• Members

Thanks for the input everybody. Yep a piece of furniture for the den. If it looks great my wife is happy. If it sounds great I am happy. I hadn't thought about the Princeton.....good idea - 10" with reverb. So we have Champ and Princeton. How about years. They have gone through many phases and changes. Suggestions please! Thanks.

No back to one from the Champ family on second thought. I have a Vox AC30/TB and am thinking of something light and easy to lug if necessary. Would like opinions of what years or styles would offer the best of 'Classic Fender' sound.

• Members

Avoid the '80s-'90s 'Red knob' versions. They don't really sound like proper Champs.

If you can score one, the Rivera era ones from the early '80s are very good but also rather more expensive than their '70s Silverface counterparts. They emulate the blackface styling of the '60s.

I have one, serious sound machine, it imitates the Tweed sounds as well.

• Members

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=987885

Ok, not a Fender but fits otherwise.

Alternately, you could pick up a SF Vibro Champ/ Bronco pretty cheap.

- Upgrade the speaker & tubes and change the electrolytic caps if they're >20 years old.

- If the OD is harsh & buzzy, increase the cathode resistor & bypass cap to 720-1k and 50uf/50v respectively.

- Once you've broken the speaker in, if it still sounds boxy or dark, check for a 330pf cap on the 6V6 socket. Removing it will open up the sound & increase high freq.

• Members

The tweed inspired circuits have amazing cleans and are asolutely badass when they are overdriven. There are several Tweed Deluxe inspired vintage tube amps you can find used even cheaper than a Blues JR that eats it's little modern Fender counter parts for breakfast. Here's a link to a current thread on one of them that has a lot of video clips you can listen to of it's clean and crunchy tones. http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2849261-My-Time-Capsule-1482-Poor-man-s-Tweed-Deluxe I have a silver face Vibro Champ too and this amp blows it away.

Archived