MXR GT-OD to ZW-OD mod

JeffHenneman

• Members

I posted this on another forum and I figured I would post it here as well. I don't think anyone else has done a post with pics of this mod.

A while back I decided to add an external switch to my MXR GT-OD. If you are not familiar with this MXR has a switch on the inside on the GT-OD pedal to switch it to a ZW-OD. It was pretty easy. I used a mini switch that I already had. If I would have planed it out better I would of picked another switch. I will get to that at the appropiate picture.

Here we go:

On the top left of the pcb there was a switch, Sorry I have no pics of the original switch. I decided at the last minute to take pictures. You can see the three holes that are left.

DSC02988.jpg

This is the switch I used. There is was too much wire left. I cut a lot of it off. If I would have planned it out more I would have used a different switch. But I like the spot I put the switch in and the size of the switch. The small size made it a hassle to install.

DSC02996.jpg

Here you can see the spot I drilled the hole.

DSC02979.jpg

Now here is where it got messy. The case on this pedal is pretty thick. More so than any other pedal I have. I reallly like how tuff this pedal is. Ok, so I had to grind the hole on the back side for the switch to fit thru the hole enought to put the washer and tighten the bolt.

DSC02992.jpg

Here you can see the switch it place from the inside.

DSC03002.jpg

Here is the new switch installed and soldered

DSC03023.jpg

And here is the switch mounted and complete. Up it is switched to GT-OD, Down position it is ZW-OD

DSC03030.jpg

So how does it sound? Well, Stock It is my favorite boost pedal. I like it more than my maxon 808. It tightens the lowend with out sacrificing the thick sound. I feel the maxon looses too much low end compared to the MXR. The MXR does smooth the sound more than the Maxon, the maxon is more raw. Just my personal preference.

For the ZW-OD mode;

In this mode the mids are scooped more than compared to the GT-OD. It works really well with a marshall amp. I tried a DSL with it and that combo rocked. I have a marshall 1960B cab and when I ran various amps thru it, the ZW mode worked awesome. Once I ran it with amps on a few other cabs I prefered it in the GT-OD mode. I think mostly becasue of the mid presence. In that marshall cab and the dsl. Of course it also makes sense cause Zack W uses marshall amps.

Hope you enjoyed this post. Rock on :rawk:

• Members

Nice. I planned to do the same thing to my GTOD, had the switch soldered up but ran into a bit of a problem getting the switch to fit. Ended up messing around with it a fair bit out of the case and preferred the GTOD side so I left that on permanently (as there is no longer any internal switch on my. Did change the red LED to a super bright green one so it actually suits the enclosure now.

• Members

I am really loving MXR Pedals at the moment, I have a carbon copy and a Micro Chorus coming for a Christmas present. Now I may look into this as well.. But I am modding my SD-1 as well so I may just wait to see how that sounds.

I will be honest my Jet city is perfect for my use at the moment, so all my amp gas has turned into pedal gas lately.

• Members

Just came into say that the gt-od/classic od is the best imo. It tightens everything up but keeps more of the natural feel and low end. To me it sounds a little more aggressive tho. The ts9 and maxon feel generic to me. The mxr has character and a more lively feel

• Members

Well it's just a bit mad to have two pedals which are identical, but for name and price. I can't find a Classic anywhere over here btw...just GT OD's.

It's because the Classic Overdrives and Distortions are a limited run that Guitar Center does. Kind of a promotional deal for MXR.

Archived