Can you learn to sing or do you have to be born with it?

Bored Anon

• Members

:confused:

I would trade 51% of my guitar playing skills to be able to sing awesomely. I would sing my wife and kids songs of love and appreciation. I would sing to my coworkers. I would sing in the shower... louder.

As it is, I can't sing. At all. Is there any help? :facepalm:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You can learn how to sing well enough to be able to carry a tune but to be an exceptional singer there is an amount of natural talent + dedication that is needed.

+1

I think for the most part anybody can learn to harmonize, learn proper breathing techniques and hold a note well enough, but your vocal structure is comprised of much more than a learned ability. Unlike an instrument, the tonal qualities are genetic. If you don't have an appealing voice, then well...you're kind of {censored}ed.

• Members

For the most part, you have to be born with the ability to hear whether or not you are in tune. A person can improve the ability to hear if they are off pitch or not but I've never met anyone who went from tone deaf to great vocal ability.

Vocal technique also affects the ability to sing in tune. Bad technique will cause your singing to be flat or sharp even though your ears are hearing correctly. I had that problem when I was a teenager. Sometimes I sang great and other times I just couldn't get it under control. It was frustrating because I could hear plain as day I was off but it still happening.

I think rhythm is the same way. It can be improved with practice but to be really good requires natural ability.

As far as your kids go, sing to them all them time. They will love you for it as well as have their lives enriched by it. They probably won't know if you are good or not and they won't care anyway.

• Members

Any tips?

Buy a cheap recording device and a cheap mic. Also singing in the car helps.

Record yourself singing. You will be horrified at first, then the only way is up. :thu:

I completely overreach skills wise and try and sing peaks I have no way of reaching. After 20 takes, I find myself getting close.

Right now I am COMPLETELY stumped recording vocals for this track I am working on:

http://soundcloud.com/tock-1/could-this-be-the-day-early

But I'll get there in the end :mad:

• Members

Any tips?

This is going to sound very lame, and it kind of is, honestly, but I had to be part of a chorus when I was in college. We sang some Mozart, Vivaldi, etc., and it helped quite a bit. FWIW, Jerry Cantrell has said that being in chorus helped him dramatically as a singer as well.

• Members

This is going to sound very lame, and it kind of is, honestly, but I had to be part of a chorus when I was in college. We sang some Mozart, Vivaldi, etc., and it helped quite a bit. FWIW, Jerry Cantrell has said that being in chorus helped him dramatically as a singer as well.

I was forced to mime in a Christmas class choir when I was 9. We had to go to a church and sing for our parents. The teacher took us one by one and got us to sing one line each, then moved about 7 percent of us to one side and told us we were not allowed to sing, but we had to mime because we were so bad.

haha. brutal.

• Members

I was never a great singer, but i took lessons, got my breathing right and learnt a lot about finding pitch and control, now i'm alright. I used to front my band but i gave it up to just play guitar, i still do backing vocals but my strength is in my screaming ability. I think if you work hard and practice singing then i think most people can do it.

I'm very jealous of people that have the natural ability, my best friend is actually incredible, she has perfect pitch, hears every harmony and has a range that floors me every time.

• Members
I'm very jealous of people that have the natural ability.

Same here. I taught myself how to be a growl type singer in the style of Ron Royce(Coroner) and Tom G. Warrior out of necessity as it is all I can do and gave up on finding a real vocalist a long time ago.

That being said, whenever I hear a master such as Ray Gillen I :cry:

• Members

Yes you can learn. Good vocal trainers can help. Melodyne can help you too.

Our singer used to more or less suck. We recorded our songs and used Melodyne to fix them (not like auto tune, but enough to touch up things). We boosted the vocals in those mixes and he uses those as the song reference (not the real artist). After a few months we noticed a big change. Now when he sings the same songs, he's more on pitch since his reference of his own voice is more accurate. He also likes his mon's louder, but maybe that's him used to those reference cd mixes we made.

IDK kind of how ear trained guitarists and drummers play. Some play better, but others with real sight reading ability and ear training are usually better overall players.

Archived