Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you learn to sing or do you have to be born with it?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you learn to sing or do you have to be born with it?

I would trade 51% of my guitar playing skills to be able to sing awesomely. I would sing my wife and kids songs of love and appreciation. I would sing to my coworkers. I would sing in the shower... louder.

As it is, I can't sing. At all. Is there any help?

Autotune was invented for all of us who cannot sing. It levels the playing field.
    Positive Transactions:Rig-Talk: O'Rourke, 92lx50, Chubtone, Juggernaut, DanyeoHC: leod_74, Dimebag11, floydroseuser, LordOVchaoS, Duderanimous, MatrixClawTGP: RMC519, Red Planet

Comment

I think I was born with a natural ability to not sing.
      Diddlybo
      -----------------------------------------------
      Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
      My current amp selection:
      Carr Slant6V, Allen Accomplice, Rivera R-30 Thirty-twelve, Fender ChampII, Tech21 Trademark 10

Good HCAF transactions with hal9000, guitup, Anibas and ARS.

Comment

I think I was born with a natural ability to not sing.

^^^
        #NoLimitCornballBrother

BRO CLUB: RSBro

Originally Posted by Phrophus

Look man, if RSBro is telling you not to give in to the pimp side and keep it rational, I'd listen.

Originally Posted by Holy War

I thought you were black for some reason...

Originally Posted by Murdoch

Not to be a dick, but you're a pretentious douche, and a closet Periphery fan.

Originally Posted by jnurp

im in nyc, you are in texas, will a long distance relationship work?

Comment

Well, this is off to a discouraging start...

Comment

You can learn how to sing well enough to be able to carry a tune but to be an exceptional singer there is an amount of natural talent + dedication that is needed.
            http://www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

I learned. I can get away with it now. Sig.

It;s just from frustration with dealing with singers and drummers and kinda had to.
              Check out my band "Tock" Debut album coming out soon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQoQgpMooyY

Comment

You can learn how to sing well enough to be able to carry a tune but to be an exceptional singer there is an amount of natural talent + dedication that is needed.

Yep.
                Check out my band "Tock" Debut album coming out soon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQoQgpMooyY

Comment

I learned. I can get away with it now. Sig.

It;s just from frustration with dealing with singers and drummers and kinda had to.

Any tips?

Comment

There's always vocal jazz.

SKIDDLY BOP
                    Positive Transactions:Rig-Talk: O'Rourke, 92lx50, Chubtone, Juggernaut, DanyeoHC: leod_74, Dimebag11, floydroseuser, LordOVchaoS, Duderanimous, MatrixClawTGP: RMC519, Red Planet

Comment

FWIW, I can match pitch mostly ok and have seen others do the same. But being a great singer outright, lot just is there or it isn't.
                      #NoLimitCornballBrother

Look man, if RSBro is telling you not to give in to the pimp side and keep it rational, I'd listen.

Comment

There's always vocal jazz.

SKIDDLY BOP

skeet skeet skeet

love,

LilJon
                        #NoLimitCornballBrother

Comment

+1

I think for the most part anybody can learn to harmonize, learn proper breathing techniques and hold a note well enough, but your vocal structure is comprised of much more than a learned ability. Unlike an instrument, the tonal qualities are genetic. If you don't have an appealing voice, then well...you're kind of ****************ed.
                          My lungs taste the air of time, blown past falling sands...

Gretsch Electromatic Corvette, Carvin DC127
                          '64 Gibson Mercury
                          Fender Tonemaster 4x12 w/ vintage 30's
                          '70, GE-7, 535Q, RAT, Orange Box, OCD, TR-2, PS-5, DMM, DD-7

Comment

You can progress to a certain level by practice and training, but it will plateau without natural talent, you'll only go so far.
                            Some guys like a challenge. Not me.

Comment

For the most part, you have to be born with the ability to hear whether or not you are in tune. A person can improve the ability to hear if they are off pitch or not but I've never met anyone who went from tone deaf to great vocal ability.

Vocal technique also affects the ability to sing in tune. Bad technique will cause your singing to be flat or sharp even though your ears are hearing correctly. I had that problem when I was a teenager. Sometimes I sang great and other times I just couldn't get it under control. It was frustrating because I could hear plain as day I was off but it still happening.

I think rhythm is the same way. It can be improved with practice but to be really good requires natural ability.

As far as your kids go, sing to them all them time. They will love you for it as well as have their lives enriched by it. They probably won't know if you are good or not and they won't care anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X