Its 29 degrees, how many occupy dudes are downtown now???

charveldan

• Members

You know what? After reading all these anti-occupy posts, I went down to my local protest to check it out. What did I see? Working class people who have lost their jobs, Students fighting for their education, and other obvious showered and well clothed individuals. I thought to myself, 'man, this is something I could get behind'. Then I saw it... Who was in front of the news cameras? Goddamn hippies...

• Members

You know what? After reading all these anti-occupy posts, I went down to my local protest to check it out. What did I see? Working class people who have lost their jobs, Students fighting for their education, and other obvious showered and well clothed individuals. I thought to myself, 'man, this is something I could get behind'. Then I saw it... Who was in front of the news cameras? Goddamn hippies...

Well duh. Have you ever seen the typical person that gets interviewed for the news?

The media specifically focuses on the ridiculous ones because its easier for them to wave their hand and say,"Look at these loonies," rather than taking an unbiased stance and saying,"This is why this individual is here."

• Members

The media zoom in on the loony fringe. They need to keep corporatism/money in politics alive for advertising reasons.

Murdoch makes 100's million from his mags, tv, newspapers etc during campaign time. He wants that sweet sweet lobbying nectar to drip from the Fanny and Freddies etc to candidates who turn it into ads. Plus he and his cronies need the fed honey dripper giving out loans at 0.001% interest so they can keep afloat in times of trouble. Murdoch himself almost went under once, but cronyism loans saved his bacon.

There is a very good reason OWS marched on his house. And it is not because Murdoch newspapers hacked dead girls mobiles in the UK (giving parents false hope their daughter was alive checking her messages). It's a different type of evil.

• Members

wtf is there to be mad about in Alaska!?!?
:freak:

The weather :lol:

But really, the only big money institutions up here are big oil BP/Conoco/Exxon (though Exxon doesn't drill up here anymore after the 1989 Valdez spill) and big mining, which is about to get a lot bigger. All of these have an environmental overtone to them up here, making it even more of a fringe-issue. Not to mention, oil and mining constitute about 40% of our state revenue (50% from the Feds, the rest is misc.) so it's really a bite-the-hand-that-feeds situation. Don't even get me started on the PFD...

• Members

The weather
:lol:

But really, the only big money institutions up here are big oil BP/Conoco/Exxon (though Exxon doesn't drill up here anymore after the 1989 Valdez spill) and big mining, which is about to get a lot bigger. All of these have an environmental overtone to them up here, making it even more of a fringe-issue. Not to mention, oil and mining constitute about 40% of our state revenue (50% from the Feds, the rest is misc.) so it's really a bite-the-hand-that-feeds situation. Don't even get me started on the PFD...

I have an aunt/uncle who both worked for Exxon (both now retired) and lived up there for a while. They both really liked it actually. Always wanted to go. My parents visited and said it was a blast.

• Members

They'll probably demand government supplied heated tents because it's a fundamental right.

OWS has rented an office space and gone indoors for the winter. They now have conference rooms with videoconferencing ability to link with members, supporters and the press. They are setting up a democratic system to develop a constitution or whatever they intend to call it. They are democratically voting on the wording of the points of their agenda. They are democratically voting on inclusion of points in their doctrine, platform, manifesto, whatever. Laugh all you want, but I listened to Obama's speech today, he is listening to OWS.

• Members
OWS has rented an office space and gone indoors for the winter. They now have conference rooms with videoconferencing ability to link with members, supporters and the press. They are setting up a democratic system to develop a constitution or whatever they intend to call it. They are democratically voting on the wording of the points of their agenda. They are democratically voting on inclusion of points in their doctrine, platform, manifesto, whatever. Laugh all you want, but I listened to Obama's speech today, he is listening to OWS.

I heard a GREAT point today when talking to someone

Presidents and politicians like to compare themselves to past presidents (do it often)....

Anyone EVEN right now thinking of doing that with Obama?

:o

• Members

This. Not everyone there is a freeloading hippie.

• Members

The media zoom in on the loony fringe. They need to keep corporatism/money in politics alive for advertising reasons.

Murdoch makes 100's million from his mags, tv, newspapers etc during campaign time. He wants that sweet sweet lobbying nectar to drip from the Fanny and Freddies etc to candidates who turn it into ads. Plus he and his cronies need the fed honey dripper giving out loans at 0.001% interest so they can keep afloat in times of trouble. Murdoch himself almost went under once, but cronyism loans saved his bacon.

There is a very good reason OWS marched on his house. And it is not because Murdoch newspapers hacked dead girls mobiles in the UK (giving parents false hope their daughter was alive checking her messages). It's a different type of evil.

I agree with all of the above.........

• Members

Well...keep laughing it up then. There are MANY ways to change yourself, your life, and society...and sitting on the park isn't one of them.

That reminds me, I'm shipping off for Vietnam tomorrow....if I don't decide to make a run for Canada in the middle of the night....or maybe Egypt or Tunisia, I hear they have democracy now....buncha do-nothing beatniks sitting in those parks will never accomplish anything.

• Members

In my city, the "Occupy" people claim through the local media that there are about 50 of them in their tent community. I go past there about once a week and only see about 10 individuals. No bongo beating, chanting, singing, etc. Very disappointing. Their "demands" are posted and crudely written on a board. It is my observation that this group lacks focus, enthusiasm, and organizational skills. I hope the individuals are more intelligent than what they display as a group. I believe their time would be better spent looking for a job or writing their congressman. Good luck to them!

• Members

That reminds me, I'm shipping off for Vietnam tomorrow....if I don't decide to make a run for Canada in the middle of the night....or maybe Egypt or Tunisia, I hear they have democracy now....buncha do-nothing beatniks sitting in those parks will never accomplish anything.

Yes...Tunisia...that sounds right for ya. Have a great time! :wave:

Archived