my lazy, missing school/truant teenager

hcprimerib

• Members

I swear I want to kick the s**t out of this lazy bum. He's failing his freshman year so far. All E's. He's to tired or doesn't "feel good" so he can't get to school on time or at all. WTF? He just got back from a weekend military camp that has great success with teens and he's already back to the same old.

Just got a letter from the school about his truancy and that they have to notify the court. F**k!!!!

/CSB

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Seriously? I hated waking up for school, but 'not going' wasn't an option. Half the time when I was sick, my mom made me go anyway.

You're the adult/parent in this situation. It's an easy fix. You hold all the power, money, and make all the decisions - you're child does what you will him to, otherwise the hammer crusheth the life from his {censored}ty little soul.

Seriously, throw him out of the house and tell him you'll wait with him at the bus stop if he doesn't do it on his own. That should be embarassing enough to force him to go. Also have the,"I know you probably think I'm a moron, but I knew kids who are doing what you're doing when I was your age, and now they pump gas for a living at the age of 45."

• Members
Seriously? I hated waking up for school, but 'not going' wasn't an option. Half the time when I was sick, my mom made me go anyway.

You're the adult/parent in this situation. It's an easy fix. You hold all the power, money, and make all the decisions - you're child does what you will him to, otherwise the hammer crusheth the life from his {censored}ty little soul.

Seriously, throw him out of the house and tell him you'll wait with him at the bus stop if he doesn't do it on his own. That should be embarassing enough to force him to go. Also have the,"I know you probably think I'm a moron, but I knew kids who are doing what you're doing when I was your age, and now they pump gas for a living at the age of 45."

This.

• Members

buy him Skyrim. Let him play for about an hour. Take Skyrim and tell him he can't play until grades improve. He'll either improve his grade or you'll get a phonecall from the cops telling you they caught him trying to shoplift a videogame :lol:

• Members

I swear I want to kick the s**t out of this lazy bum. He's failing his freshman year so far. All E's. He's to tired or doesn't "feel good" so he can't get to school on time or at all. WTF? He just got back from a weekend military camp that has great success with teens and he's already back to the same old.

Just got a letter from the school about his truancy and that they have to notify the court. F**k!!!!

/CSB

So what were you like as a teenager?

• Members

Yep. Time to sell all his toys. Grounded, phone, PC, video games, money and chores etc.

He is stressing you the {censored} out. Sell his gear and buy yourself a guitar.

He will see it as a massive injustice. So he will have a taste of justice for once. You can't shout, threaten, reason with some people...some people actually like it.

As for driving him to school. {censored} that. That is putting you out. Tell him he will be kicked out of the house if he does not go. He may take you seriously after his cold turkey to Scrim/warcraft/texting bitches etc kicks in.

Also book him some time with the school counselor. if he has a deeper problem it may come out, if not it will be a cringe worthy experience for him.

• Members

- be the big bad dad and kick his butt = he'll despise you

- be the nice guy and do nothing = your best friend

Yeah, that'll work. :facepalm:

It's not your job to be his "best friend" right now, it's your job to be his FATHER. The "best friend" shit can come later, when he's old enough to appreciate you kickin' his ass back into line.

• Members

I went through this with my daughter in middle school and her 1st 2 years of high school. I finally gave up, told her that her future is in HER hands and to not bother asking me for a single fucking thing.

"Dad can I have $20?"

"NO"

"Dad can you give me a ride to the mall?"

"NO"

"Dad can my friends come over?"

"NO"

She got REAL tired of hearing NO all the time so she got her shit together. Now she's got mostly A's and a few B's and made honor roll. I praised the SHIT out of her for it and now when she asks me for something, I say "YES!!!" :thu:

• Members

Yeah, that'll work.
:facepalm:

It's not your job to be his "best friend" right now, it's your job to be his FATHER. The "best friend" shit can come later, when he's old enough to appreciate you kickin' his ass back into line.

this,

• Members

I went through this with my daughter in middle school and her 1st 2 years of high school. I finally gave up, told her that her future is in HER hands and to not bother asking me for a single fucking thing.

"Dad can I have $20?"

"NO"

"Dad can you give me a ride to the mall?"

"NO"

"Dad can my friends come over?"

"NO"

She got REAL tired of hearing NO all the time so she got her shit together. Now she's got mostly A's and a few B's and made honor roll. I praised the SHIT out of her for it and now when she asks me for something, I say "YES!!!"
:thu:

A couple of plans that work! :thu:

• Members

Some pretty naive concepts in this post. Depends how far gone he is (from you). Parents think they hold all the cards but they really don't hold ANY cards.

"My Mom made me go anyway" = only worked because (a) you still had enough love and respect for her and/or (b) you hadn't yet learned (or been taught by older, more experienced delinquents) that there really wasn't anything she could do to make you go. You're especially F**kd if (b) is in effect).

"throw him out of the house and tell him you'll wait with him at the bus stop if he doesn't do it on his own. That should be embarassing enough to force him to go."

I don't know if you mean the "throw him out" part literally or just to throw out in the morning to get him moving toward school.

I do know that if you try to literally throw your juvenile kid out of your house you will have Social Services (or whatever they call it where you live) up YOUR ass prosecuting YOU for child neglect, etc.

Putting his truancy before a judge? I got letters from the school board warning that they were beginning procedures for having ME prosecuted because my son wasn't attending school. I tried literally dragging my son to school and even going to class with him. School said they couldn't have me creating a disturbance at the school. Threatened to call the police. I told the principle. "I'm just making every effort all the way to this extreme to see that my son goes to school. Well, here he is...now you keep him here. I'll make a deal with you....you quit threatening me with prosecution for his truancy and I'll stop dragging him into your lobby every morning."

Parents hold NO cards except the cards that the kid in question allows them to play. Once they don't want to play cards anymore there isn't much of anything you can do. BTW, a "wilderness/boot camp" experience that cost about $20,000 kept him on the straight and narrow for about 3 months after he came back home. Then back to his old friends and his old ways.

I wish I had better news or advice. Do you know that in most states if you KNOW that your son/daughter is on drugs (of any kind...hard or not) you can't put them in a program/rehab against their will if they are over the age of 14 unless Psychologists certify them to be a danger to themselves or others? And believe it or not, if your 14 yr. old is shooting heroine every day that isn't considered being a danger to themselves. (My son wasn't doing heroine or anything like that...just something that I learned along the way).

Archived