Overrated Amps

les_paul

• Members

Just curious as to what everyone views as over priced and overrated gear, specifically amps. I'll kick it off. In my opinion, Orange amps are way overpriced for what you get. Frankly you could buy any number of vintage amps for the price of an Orange Rockerverb or Thunderverb. Furthermore, there are several amps available with more features in the same price range.

OK, my rant is over for now. Whaddaya got, HCAF?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just curious as to what everyone views as over priced and overrated gear, specifically amps. I'll kick it off. In my opinion, Orange amps are way overpriced for what you get. Frankly you could buy any number of vintage amps for the price of an Orange Rockerverb or Thunderverb. Furthermore, there are several amps available with more features in the same price range.

OK, my rant is over for now. Whaddaya got, HCAF?

my thunderverb 50 is the shit, youre thread sucks :lol:

on the serious note though, find me an amp that sounds like a TV50 and shares the features. and they have cheaper options which sound badass as well.

• Members

Orange are overrated

Blackstar are overpriced and overrated

Bogner Ecstasy is overrated and overpriced

Marshall JVM is overrated

Most amps are overpriced

5150 and it's variants are overrated.

These are the only things I can think of off the top of my head that seem blatantly one or the other or both.

There are many more amps I don't like, but I don't necessarily think they are overpriced or overrated........

• Members

my thunderverb 50 is the shit, youre thread sucks
:lol:

on the serious note though, find me an amp that sounds like a TV50 and shares the features. and they have cheaper options which sound badass as well.

The closest thing I could suggest is like a Blackstar HT Club 50, then buy an attenuator.

• Members

Pretty much every amp but Peaveys are overpriced.

JCM 800s are over priced because you can get Butcher that sounds just as good for a 1/3 the price.

Rectos and Mark IVs are over priced because you can get a xxx or ultra that sounds just as good for 1/4 the price.

And I love all the amps I just said are over priced, but reality is realty, The Mark IV is my favorite amp I've ever played, but really that thing wasn't worth $1200 when I can cop pretty much the same tones with a Peavey Ultra I paid $150 for just saying.

And I love Marshalls, always been a fan boi, but {censored} come, Going price for used a used 2203 is around $1000, and the used price of a Butcher is about $300, and they sound almost {censored}ing identical.

• Members

WAT?!?! I like Blackstars a lot but they sound nothing like an Orange. Tone is completely different.

It's a modern, EL34 50 watt dual channel amp. For the grittiness of the Orange, maybe a Stiletto instead. Then you don't have money for an attenuator, though.

• Members

And don't even get me started on German Amps, buying those things here in America when when every local craigslist in the country is filled with American made Peaveys that sound just as good(excpet the 5150), and are built like tanks, has got a be a bit some sort of mental disorder/small dick complex.

• Members

Diezel is an odd one. To me, there's no such thing as a $3000+amp. In fact, I will not pay much more than $2000 for an amp.

Totally disagree. The $2900 used price i payed is the best money i've spent on gear since i was 11 years old. It's bar-none the easiest recording amp i've ever owned and just layers with other amps so well.

• Members

And don't even get me started on German Amps, buying those things here in America when when every local craigslist in the country is filled with American made Peaveys that sound just as good(excpet the 5150), and are built like tanks, has got a be a bit some sort of mental disorder/small dick complex.

OK, ok, we get it! You like Peaveys. I hate them. Every single one of them is overrated AND overpriced since I don't like the way they sound AND I wouldn't pay a $1 for them.

• Members

Pretty much every amp but
Bugeras
are overpriced.

JCM 800s are over priced because you can get
that sounds just as good for a 1/3 the price.

Rectos and Mark IVs are over priced because you can get a
Trirec
or
Magician
that sounds just as good for 1/4 the price.

And I love all the amps I just said are over priced, but reality is realty, The Mark IV is my favorite amp I've ever played, but really that thing wasn't worth $1200 when I can cop pretty much the same tones with a
Bugera Trirec
I paid $150 for just saying.

And I love Marshalls, always been a fan boi, but shit come, Going price for used a used 2203 is around $1000, and the used price of a
is about $300, and they sound almost fucking identical.

fixed.

:lol:

Archived