played an old vox last night

sleewell

• Members

our bass player still lives at home and buys gear like crazy. he shows up last night with a 1965 or 1966 Vox Cambridge Reverb. holy {censored}ing mother of awesomesauce. i have very limited experience with vox amps but my preconcieved notion of them was way off. this thing was so warm it would have melted frozen butter in a few seconds. it broke up nicely right at the level you would need to play with drums, notes sustained and started feeding back like magic and it just cut through like none other. he was going on and on about the alinico speaker and meanwhile i just kept playing and playing it. it was sweet, i need more old tube amps in my life.

CSB, huh?

bill

• Members

yeah that was the other thing, it was basically just plug and play. 6 dials, 3 of them were for reverb and tremolo so really it was just volume, bass and treble - it was impossible not to be able to get amazing sounds with any guitar just seconds after plugging it in. we also put one of his germanium fuzzes in front with some pretty awesome results.

• Members

I tried a vintage AC30 and thought it to be completely meh.

Horses for courses I guess.

Thing is by this point they all sound different. If it's still working the chances are it's had so many parts replaced or repaired and when you couple that the natural drifting of component values and the way different speakers age, valves sounding different... one amp could be a ratty sounding dog and another could be totally sweet sounding.

Personally if I had one I'd want to gig with it so I'd need two or three and a tech to keep them running.