Recommend me a Good Tube Combo Amp for Practice - My Budda SD45 is too LOUD

yell03

• Members

I want an inexpensive Tube combo amp for practice and maybe small jams.

I am looking for chewy tube tone at low volumes.

In the past I have had:

Blackstar HT1R - 1w

Blackstar HT5 5w

Orange Tiny Terror 7.5/15w

Vox Mini Night Train 15w

Vox Night Train 2w

Egnater Tweaker 15w

Egnater Rebel 20 20w

Fender Blues Jr NOS Tweed 15w

I am currently interested in combos under $400, but will go higher if absolutely necessary:

Marshall Class 5 - $399

Vox AC4TV - $299

Marshall Haze - $359

Jet City JCA20 combo - $349

VHT Special 6 and Special 6 Ultra - $329

Fender Super Champ XD - hybrid - $199

I would prefer a 2 channel amp, but I do have pedals, so I can make due with a single channel amp.

Any other suggestions would be very welcome.

I know I am forgetting some.

15w would be nice for occasional jam sessions, but I could make due with less.

I recently played a Marshall Studio 15 that sounded nice and a Marshall DSL201 that was pretty good too, so used is not out of the question.

• Members

I'd go class 5 (as long as its not the first run), jet city, or VHT. they're all solid, good sounding amps.

I really like the Marshall Haze, but the combo is 40w, the Haze 15 half-stack would be nice, but I think it is pretty expensive.

• Members

any 15 watter you get is only going to be marginally quieter than your Budda.

This, wattage squared doubles volume so there is not a huge difference between 15 and 50 watts. You may want to look into inefficient speakers instead.

• Members

if you liked the haze go with that
:idk:

none of the amps listed, except maybe the superchamp, will be that much quieter. Maybe a Mustang or GDEC?

The Haze 40 is the one on sale, that probably will be too loud if I want to drive the tubes, the 15 is still expensive.

• Members

See above, 15w amps with less touchy master volumes, for example Egnater Tweaker, Vox Night Train, etc..., can be used at a mid level much more easily than the Budda.

I had the SD18, the SD45 is worse volume wise, but sounds better tone wise, and the SD18 is still great.

They do sound nice

The Haze 40 is the one on sale, that probably will be too loud if I want to drive the tubes, the 15 is still expensive.

that doesn't really mean anything though as to total volume capability. If that's the only problem just throw something in the loop to make the volume more manageable.

• Members

My recommendation.... Keep the Budda and turn it down.

I have owned several Superdrives in every wattage 18,30,45 and 80. All of them sounded great at low volume. I think they just sound so good loud people can't suck it up and bring down the volume, I understand but they still sound better at conversation levels in my opinion that any of your choices you list.

I have sold them, bought a small amp and not once have any of the little amps ever sounded as big on recordings, even done at apartment levels.

You can hear the difference easily with big bottles. If it helps I can put up comparison clips of a sd18 vs the sd45, same song and room levels.

I hope this helps, you may feel different but I have regretted getting rid of all my Budda's, but especially the 45s and 80s.

But if you sell the 45 let me know, I miss mine!!

• Members

My recommendation.... Keep the Budda and turn it down.

I have owned several Superdrives in every wattage 18,30,45 and 80. All of them sounded great at low volume. I think they just sound so good loud people can't suck it up and bring down the volume, I understand but
they still sound better at conversation levels in my opinion that any of your choices you list.

I have sold them, bought a small amp and not once have any of the little amps ever sounded as big on recordings, even done at apartment levels.

You can hear the difference easily with big bottles. If it helps I can put up comparison clips of a sd18 vs the sd45, same song and room levels.

I hope this helps, you may feel different but I have regretted getting rid of all my Budda's, but especially the 45s and 80s.

But if you sell the 45 let me know, I miss mine!!

That is exactly why I sold all my other little amps.

I traded the Vox for the SD18 and the Tweaker for the SD45.

Like you said, even at livable room volumes the Buddas blow away the others, but at bedroom levels the others were superior.

The buddas don't do bedroom level.

If I part with the SD45 you will be the first to know.

Archived