Budda Superdrive dudes talk to me!

thebrokenvow

• Members

Alright I'm looking at a good deal on a Budda Superdrive II V20 , the newer 6v6 model. I've heard great things about these amps both pre and post peavey but still curious to your experiences , I will get to play it but not in a full band or with my complete pedal board so I'm curious on experiences. I'm a big pedal guy and on the edgier side of indie rock but I Like to make noise and I like to play riffs.

Experiences ? Thoughts?

• Members

I can't speak to the v series but I own the Superdrive 30 series II head (pre Peavey) and it is hands down the best amp I have ever owned and by a long shot. It's a rock amp for sure but can do some metal stuff boosted. Sits in a band mix as well as anything I have owned in my 20 years on guitar and easily the best lead tone I have ever had. Clean tones are stellar too but in a Vox, slightly gritty kind of way not a fender sparkle way but still tons of chime. For loudness the 30 watter is the loudest amp I have ever ownedplayed thru and It's the first non 100 watt tube head I have owned. I hear the 18 watter is akin to a 50 watt Plexi Marshall and the 30 is akin to a 100 watt Plexi Marshall volume wise. I don't think pre or post Peavey matters in the least personally.

Great sounding amps but they are unforgiving so if your chops aren't up you can't hide behind it. If they are up it's as good of a sound as I have heard, the loop works great too. Try one out if you can I sure am glad I finally did :)

_Shane

• Members

Another question for the Budda guys: if you crank up the rhythm channel for crunch, how does it balance volume -wise against the high gain channel?

It really wouldn't but there is a balance mod you can do that would help with that. Having said that the clean channel has enough grit that if you just hit it with a light overdrive you are in crunch heaven. Also you can run the gain on the lead channel at 11 o'clock or so and get a nice crunchy sound and boost it for lead stuff. Amazingly versatile amps considering they have like six knobs.

• Members

have clocked some hours on the SD18 combo.

if youre in a band/playing live and need a loud+lightweight (extremely light for its sized, especially compared to the mark III i was used to) its great.

if youre playing at home/bedroom volumes...id suggest looking elsewhere or get a diffrent speaker (i suspect the phat budda speaker is extremely efficient)

made this walkthrough style demo if its of help

[video=youtube;PJmgpwfaG3Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJmgpwfaG3Y

its an amp that punishes you for being sloppy (as you can hear me struggling to hold it together)

that demo was recorded at relatively low volume settings, but the room volume was very close to uncomfortable/unbearable levels.

my guitar teacher has the SD45 head...sounds great when he plays it

• Members

Ok got to demo her this weekend . Played both with a les paul and a strat I wasn't impressed , Just too sterile dare i say ? No complex overtones and just not enough vibe for me? I moved the knobs around plenty but just not my cup of tea , I'm sure it would work for many but not me. That being said it did cut like crazy , was loud , and had a decent range just couldn't find a spot for me ! Anyway the search continues.

• Members

Ok got to demo her this weekend . Played both with a les paul and a strat I wasn't impressed , Just too sterile dare i say ? No complex overtones and just not enough vibe for me? I moved the knobs around plenty but just not my cup of tea , I'm sure it would work for many but not me. That being said it did cut like crazy , was loud , and had a decent range just couldn't find a spot for me ! Anyway the search continues.

Really interesting to read this just as I'm on the brink of deciding to keep the amp I was gonna sell to finance a Superdrive....

Archived