How would you define the tone of a ibanez basswood body and rosewood fingeboard ?

SweepLegatto

• Members

depends.

Even high end MIJ Ibanezes vary wildly in tonal character.

It comes down to the individual piece of wood.

IME, generally, they are "neutral", and respond to pickup changes very well.

BTW, my absolute best is a white '87 RG550 that tends to the barely bright side. I also have an 87 Desert Yellow RG550 that tends to the slightly darker/mellow side.

• Members

Neutral with a pronounced midrange and the high treble rolled off a bit. Both the body and neck influence tone enough to consider both with care in my opinion.

Pretty much spot on. And I disagree with ibanez(or basswood) varying wildly. Basswood, to me is a very consistant wood. The biggest difference between ibanez will be the quality of the trems/bridge and the neck construction. Otherwise basswood with a maple neck and rosewood board should have an even tone which should yield nice string separation and a slightly rolled off high end with nice midrange. my 87 MiJ Fender HM strat has these specs and it's a tone I really like..

• Members

Pretty much spot on. And I disagree with ibanez(or basswood) varying wildly. Basswood, to me is a very consistant wood.
The biggest difference between ibanez will be the quality of the trems/bridge
and the neck construction. Otherwise basswood with a maple neck and rosewood board should have an even tone which should yield nice string separation and a slightly rolled off high end with nice midrange. my 87 MiJ Fender HM strat has these specs and it's a tone I really like..

irrelevant. If an Ibanez doesn't have an Edge or a Lo Pro Edge, it isn't a guitar. Plus, it should be destroyed.

• Members

Pretty much spot on. And I disagree with ibanez(or basswood) varying wildly. Basswood, to me is a very consistant wood. The biggest difference between ibanez will be the quality of the trems/bridge and the neck construction. Otherwise basswood with a maple neck and rosewood board should have an even tone which should yield nice string separation and a slightly rolled off high end with nice midrange. my 87 MiJ Fender HM strat has these specs and it's a tone I really like..

My UV777 and RG7260 sound wildly different, both basswood with maple necks and rosewood boards. Same Lo-Pro 7 bridge. My RG560 also sounds different to both of those. The UV is the darkest and warmest sounding, the RG7620 has a somewhat strange kinda bright midrangey thing going on, and the RG560 is fairly "neutral" sounding.

They all sound great, but they do all sound different. :idk:

• Members

My UV777 and RG7260 sound wildly different, both basswood with maple necks and rosewood boards. Same Lo-Pro 7 bridge. My RG560 also sounds different to both of those. The UV is the darkest and warmest sounding, the RG7620 has a somewhat strange kinda bright midrangey thing going on, and the RG560 is fairly "neutral" sounding.

They all sound great, but
they do all sound different.
:idk:

{censored}in A.

I've owned around 13 MIJ Basswood Ibanezes. They all sounded different.

• Members

I had a JS1000 and a Jem777FP that were basswood and rosewood. No dominant frequencies IME. Very neutral sounding guitars.

That's almost exactly what I was thinking. They weren't really impressive to me, I want a guitar that sounds monstrous and has something distinct....based on interviews with satch, the lack of distinction I think is what draws him to those guitars

• Members

{censored}in A.

I've owned around 13 MIJ Basswood Ibanezes. They all sounded different.

Haven't owned that many, but basswood is a really consistent wood. Same with poplar. In comparison to other common guitar building Woods like mahogany or ash. I would compare 2 of the same guitar range/same year rather than a $2000 Universe vs. the cheaper Rg. I can see on my Rg 7 string up to 5 glue lines in the body. My buddy has a Universe and it is noticeably darker and warmer sounding. Much like how Deadnight mentioned. Which would say that result is at least consistent. ;-) . I would doubt the Universe has a 4 or 5 piece glue up. Also I think the Universe has a thicker neck and is made of multiple pieces, if I remember correct. I'm not sure tho. And I'm not saying Basswood or any other wood for that matter, isnt unique from piece to piece since no tree is identical, but as a woodworker I can say Basswood is generally considered to be pretty consistent..

• Members

So far basswood guitars to me sound very weak compared to mahogany tone wise. I've had 2 JP6's and now this Ibanez RG 1421F and they all have the same I would say lack nuggets or balls to them. I'm currently on a pickup quest with the RG and am on my 4th pickup change.....the best being a Duncan Custom. Right now I've got a BKP Nailbomb and it's coming out for the BKP Warpig that's on the way. I hope that adds some balls to the situation........"I would define the tone as woody and juicy, with sustain for days and plenty of gain on tap"? I say WTF to that opinion so far.... :lol:

Archived