how to get any amp to cut live?

adrianb23

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What are your thoughts on the whole "t00bs cut better than SS" deal?

I think in a good mix it shouldn't matter too much. The difference I've heard is that most tubes amps sound a little fatter overall and might take up a little more space in a mix, allowing some frequencies to punch through a little stronger than a SS amp.

• Members

I think in a good mix it shouldn't matter too much. The difference I've heard is that most tubes amps sound a little fatter overall and might take up a little more space in a mix, allowing some frequencies to punch through a little stronger than a SS amp.

Thanks for the insight. I had the pleasure of jamming with some neighborhood buddies for 7 hours straight as the new year turned over, but i was stuck with only my roland Cube 40. With mids maxed i think it was still missing something, i'm guessing upper mids and presence. My friend's tone was more shrill, had more upper mids but also a ton more treble. I had some cutting issues (pun not intended) but it could have been volume too, since i couldn't quite turn up as much without the speaker farting out. Oh well...

• Members

Thanks for the insight. I had the pleasure of jamming with some neighborhood buddies for 7 hours straight as the new year turned over, but i was stuck with only my roland Cube 40. With mids maxed i think it was still missing something, i'm guessing upper mids and presence. My friend's tone was more shrill, had more upper mids but also a ton more treble. I had some cutting issues (pun not intended) but it could have been volume too, since i couldn't quite turn up as much without the speaker farting out. Oh well...

Yeah, losing a lot of speaker headroom can muddy things up and round off some of those more cutting frequencies. Speakers can just give up and can't fully push everything the same way they would at lower volumes. It depends on the wattage of the speaker.

• Members

Are you 100% sure it's not just where you're standing? Sometimes just standing somewhere else changes the way you hear everything.

It could also have been that. I moved to a spot in front of my amp, but that also put me directly in front of the other guitar player's amp. And closer to the drums and the front of the bass amp.

• Members

Speakers. Speakers. Speakers.

The Greenback and V30 both being tried and tested for live use.

For example, the Peavey Bandit combo with stock speaker wouldn't cut through porridge. Run it through a cab with good cones and it's actually a decent amp.

If you're using a decent amp with a decent cab, you should probably consider using more mids.

• Members

It could also have been that. I moved to a spot in front of my amp, but that also put me directly in front of the other guitar player's amp. And closer to the drums and the front of the bass amp.

lol sadly I hear ya if you are not near the monitors it can be tough .Most of the time if I am away from the monitors all I hear is the other guitar all night and all he hears is me .lol

Archived