Anyone have a 5150 III ??

FearTheVoices

• Members

Haven't played the mini version but the 3 is a 5150 that's not as rough around the edges. Whether that's good or bad is up to taste. I like it so interpret it as being "classier/more pleasing" someone who prefers the other heads will have a different take.

It does the same pseudo Marshall thing just a little better, IMO

• Members

I played bryanFTWL's 5150III at the augusta ampfest and really liked it. crunch and lead channels weren't as different sounding/feeling as I would have liked but the clean channel with the gain cranked had a GREAT crunch tone.

lead channel sounds like a more refined 5150/6505. I wouldn't mind owning one but I don't NEED one, hence it not being in my sig at this point.

• Members

I agree its a smoother ,warmer 5150 with a little less bite .the Blue channel is designed to be a Marshall JMP cranked hot ..

Hee a vid guy has a Marshall Afd ,the Suhr PT 100 and he said he would take the EVH if he could only have the one amps

• Members

Another couple of cool things that the mini added .A headphone jack lol not sure but this would be intresting if it works.

A resonance control on the back that the big head does not appear to have.

Probably to get that chunk at lower volumes and get closer to the punch of the full sized head..

hmm intresting for 899 I dont think you can go wrong even if it was made in Korea, Mexico??

• Members

Well after a couple weeks of waffling I just pulled the trigger on the 50w mini. I started looking around this morning at amps and in no time I was looking at amps in the $2500 range. This sudden price increase was because i posted my JMP for sale last night for $1100 and had a multitude of hits within the first few hours, I figured at that price i would not have gotten many hits at all and that is sort of the reason i posted it(i dont really want to sell it)..But 4 out of the 6 or 7 hits i got were legit. Two people want to buy it without even playing it and are local :eek: . So i was going to use that $1100 towards a more expensive amp. I then started going back and forth on whether or not a Shiva,Goldfinger,Mark V were worth almost $1500 more than the 5153..In the end i decided no and i ordered the EVH and will keep both amps probs.

{censored}ty thing is that the 5153 is not expected in stock for 3 weeks :cry:

• Members

they had some issue with wrong transformer used so they had to totally redo them

Ed said nope .there is some magic in the tranformer that give it a little sag in the Marshall blue channel .Eds main one.

Did you also hear the original stress test for this amp .

I lold Ed cranked the amp and all the control played let it feedback put the guitar on the rack left it squealing shut the door and said no one in the room for 30 days.

The amp did not fail

• Members

I had the 5150 III 100 watt version. It's okay. But like the guys say here, it's "not as rough around the edges" and that's the same quality that makes it just average in a band setting. The 5150 III sounds very good in the bedroom, but I'll take a 5150 II standing out in a band setting any day over it. I sold my III after a week.

YMMV

Archived