SecuROM is teh SUCK

madDdog67

• Members

Sony can rot in hell for this abomination. I'm re-bonding with my PC :), so I'm firing up some of the old classic games that I've enjoyed in past. Sacred 2 being one of them. I have 2 legitimate copies of Sacred 2--one on DVD, the other digital download--that I can't play on this computer because of some sort of SecuROM error. I tried some fairly arcane regedit ways to get rid of it, but it no workee.

I could play on one of my other computers, but then I wouldn't get to enjoy the 1920x1080 eye candy. And it's teh principal, damnit! Makes me want to pirate the shit out of everything Sony.

Well, they sorta got their just deserts by getting the SHIT hacked out of them a while back, I guess.

• Members

All that BS is one reason why I still, and will probably always, prefer hardware units for guitar stuff. If you have an Axe-FX, it sits there and you own it. With software you THINK you own it, until you try to use it 2 years later and you get this stupid {censored} happening....

• Members

Have you tried upgrading the firmware on the DVD-ROM drive? Check device manager for make/model and see if there's an update on their site. It may solve 9/10 issues for you! Sacred 2 works perfectly fine on my system, installed without a hitch.

That said, I'm slowly slowly coming around to the whole idea of Steam! A lot of my games are launched from Steam. The only thing I don't like is the fact that the days of enabling cheats via command line are gone with Steam, so you have to rely on shonky, possibly malware'd up Trainers to run in the background that aren't exactly stable.

(caveat, I'm not a good games player, I just like to dabble, but have no interested in spending days of my life trying to complete a certain section. Gimme a god mode and I'm happy!)

• Members

All that BS is one reason why I still, and will probably always, prefer hardware units for guitar stuff. If you have an Axe-FX, it sits there and you own it. With software you THINK you own it, until you try to use it 2 years later and you get this stupid {censored} happening....

Agreed! I've no interest in that Amprig bollocks either! The Pod HD does a wonderful job!

• Members

Satannica, the problem I'm having that I already had Sacred 2 installed when I had to reload the OS from the trojan I had a while back. I tried to run the existing install, and got this:

A required security module cannot be activated.

This program cannot be executed (9000).

That happened on both the digital install and the DVD install that I just did. I even did the de-activate thing on the DVD version. I'm willing to try the DVD firmware update, just don't think it's gonna work. I would like to get this game fired up here on the main computer, 'cos sometimes you must have to create mayhem as a near-naked dual wielding Seraphim:

sera1.jpg

• Members

OK so did you do a digital install? What happens if you try to load the game without the disk inserted? If the same, then I'd suggest it's a disk access issue, either SecuROM or damaged disk?

Not sure what to suggest apart from pinging the online forums, or if all goes to hell search out a crack for it? I last used mine about a year ago on this system, but I don't recall any problems at all.

Try installing on a different machine?

I do agree though, SecuROM is a bit of a {censored}ter! It can serve to criminalise innocent purchasers!

Archived