WTF is this, a Bourne movie?

FourT6and2

• Members

Last night, I was driving home from NYC. It was about 1 or 2 AM and I'm on the East-side Highway (FDR). Zero traffic. I'm the only car on the road. I'm driving in the center lane, doing the speed limit when a car comes up behind me. Fast. He rides my bumper, puts on his high beams then comes up next to me on the driver side.

I look over. He looks at me, straight in the eye. Then like a freakin' car chase scene out of an action/spy movie he takes the steering wheel and yanks it hard, ramming the side of my car.

He pushed me across into the right lane. I counter steer to keep from spinning out and he starts to slide sideways but recovers. Then he takes off. Hit and run.

I speed after him and grab his plate number, call the cops and they tell me to just pull over and not to follow him. An hour later the police show up. And apparently, in NY State it's not a "Hit and Run" unless someone gets physically injured. And no such thing as "assault with a deadly weapon" for an intentional RAMMING of someones car. Even if someone rams head on into a police squad car and then flees the scene, the police apparently can't press any charges. It's still just a normal traffic infraction.

So, the police close the case and don't even pretend to figure out who the driver was or who the car belongs to. Even though I got the make, model and plate number.

So, basically I'm {censored}ed.

/csb

• Members

my condolences as I know this is very upsetting, I had a similar incident but the crazy ass driver and his passenger made statement to cops saying I hit him; I got charged. I set up a 360 degree video camera to film constantly during my 240 mile daily commute (many fleet vehicles do this) You can document injury/headaches/anxiety and chiropractic visits and get charges against the nut.

• Members

my condolences as I know this is very upsetting, I had a similar incident but the crazy ass driver and his passenger made statement to cops saying I hit him; I got charged. I set up a 360 degree video camera to film constantly during my 240 mile daily commute (many fleet vehicles do this)
You can document injury/headaches/anxiety and chiropractic visits and get charges against the nut.

This...say you were injured. You will be able to press charges.

• Members

Last night, I was driving home from NYC. It was about 1 or 2 AM and I'm on the East-side Highway (FDR). Zero traffic. I'm the only car on the road. I'm driving in the center lane, doing the speed limit when a car comes up behind me. Fast. He rides my bumper, puts on his high beams then comes up next to me on the driver side.

I look over. He looks at me, straight in the eye. Then like a freakin' car chase scene out of an action/spy movie he takes the steering wheel and yanks it hard, ramming the side of my car.

He pushed me across into the right lane. I counter steer to keep from spinning out and he starts to slide sideways but recovers. Then he takes off. Hit and run.

I speed after him and grab his plate number, call the cops and they tell me to just pull over and not to follow him. An hour later the police show up. And apparently, in NY State it's not a "Hit and Run" unless someone gets physically injured. And no such thing as "assault with a deadly weapon" for an intentional RAMMING of someones car. Even if someone rams head on into a police squad car and then flees the scene, the police apparently can't press any charges. It's still just a normal traffic infraction.

So, the police close the case and don't even pretend to figure out who the driver was or who the car belongs to. Even though I got the make, model and plate number.

/csb

It was prob. an off duty cop.

• Members

/csb

What the {censored}?

The last time I was pulled over, for improper display of liscense (the tag got lost in the mail)---he was pissed that he couldn't actually write me up for anything since I had the registration in the glovebox. So he took me out of my car and I had to stand outside the car for 30 minutes while he "verified" my ID and registration.

Good to know the cops are out looking for dangerous people like me that "forget" to put their sticker on...oh wait..is it because people without a sticker didn't pay money? OH. Money.... IS THAT WHAT THEY WANT?

{censored}ing cops.

• Members

Shouldn't they have to at least track the other driver down for insurance purposes even if no criminal charges are filed? If not then why would anyone in NY even worry about having insurance? If you get in a wreck that's your fault just take off and go home.

If it's not a hit and run or even a crime in NY unless someone gets hurt does that mean I can buy a $200 piece of {censored} car purposely to drive down the road side swiping every expensive car I see without any charges?:cop:

That's a good idea for you. Buy you a piece of {censored} and go ram about 10 parked police cars then go home. Nothing they can do since no one was hurt.:lol:

• Members

The other day I had to slam my brakes at a merge point as the person infront of me made a sudden move. Well the driver behind me got upset by this and then honked and rode on my bumper for the next 5 miles. Once the road became a highway he proceed to follow me. I took a few exits off the highway then turned and got on the other direction and this car continued to chase me. Eventually after 20 minutes I get to a redlight and that car comes beside me.

I look over and raise my arms in a WTF motion and the other driver has a hat that says POLICE real big and has a handheld radio in the other. Then he zooms off.

• Members

The other day I had to slam my brakes at a merge point as the person infront of me made a sudden move. Well the driver behind me got upset by this and then honked and rode on my bumper for the next 5 miles. Once the road became a highway he proceed to follow me. I took a few exits off the highway then turned and got on the other direction and this car continued to chase me. Eventually after 20 minutes I get to a redlight and that car comes beside me.

I look over and raise my arms in a WTF motion and the other driver has a hat that says POLICE real big and has a handheld radio in the other. Then he zooms off.

He was probably trying to get you to speed so he could pull you over. They love doing that stuff around here even though they cruise around doing 55 in 30mph zones.

• Members

What.the.{censored}?

First of all, why haven't you contacted a lawyer? Just because some cop says that isn't a crime (which is CLEARLY is) doesn't mean you shouldn't talk to a lawyer and see what your rights are. If the lawyer is able to disprove the cops, then you could have a case against the cops and the jackass who did that.

I'd be finding a reputable lawyer and see what he says. Even if he can't do anything, you deserve some insurance compensation from the other driver. Otherwise, what's the point of having insurance...If you claim this on yours, it's likely that YOURS will go up, for someone else's boneheaded move.

• Members

That's {censored}ed up. Police can be dicks. But the cop I dealt with seemed cool. His hands were tied, though. The law says no charges can be filed.

Archived