Moving to Chicago from Phoenix? Good idea as far as music scene goes? Chicago guys?

GRANKOR

• Members

Here in Phoenix it's all crapcore and cover bands. I hate the lack of downtown and the fact you have to drive EVERYWHERE here. What are the cons of Chicago?

I live in Chicago and went to school in Flagstaff for 4 years. My thoughts on both:

Chicago:

-love it besides the weather

-music scene is more scattered, but there are TONS of venues and shows

-cost of living is higher, traffic is terrible in comparison.

-great foods, lots to do. If you live downtown you don't really have to drive anywhere.

Phoenix:

-more sprawled out

-no real downtown/city area

-tons of "hardcore" music

-cheaper cost of living and less traffic

-very modern feel with what I feel is no real history.

-great proximity to other parts of the country (Mexico, Vegas, California, skiing, etc...)

If I didn't live here, I wouldn't be in phx. Some people love it but it personally isn't for me.

• Members

It depends, are you talking suburbs or actual city? The winters can be rough here, but you get used to it. They don't even bother me. There's a ton of {censored} to do here, great food, great people(for the most part).

Taxes are fairly high here and gas is usually the most expensive in the country, but you also get used to that as well. I don't know, I love living here and don't see myself moving unless my dream job pops up. It's a great sports town as well if you're into that

• Members

It depends, are you talking suburbs or actual city? The winters can be rough here, but you get used to it. They don't even bother me. There's a ton of {censored} to do here, great food, great people(for the most part).

Taxes are fairly high here and gas is usually the most expensive in the country, but you also get used to that as well. I don't know, I love living here and don't see myself moving unless my dream job pops up. It's a great sports town as well if you're into that

We were looking at the Lakeview area, we want to be really close to the city. My wife grew in Lincoln Park but that's a bit too spendy for us! She moved away when she was about 10. Bad weather/higher taxes don't really phase me, I'm from England ;)

• Members

Do it. That's a pretty good part of town. Lots of stuff to do around there, tons of good food, you'll enjoy it. Just don't turn into a cubs fan on me :cop: Let me know if you have any specific questions, my brains fairly dead from last night so I can't come up with much more to write at the moment :o

• Members

Lots of stuff to do, good food, different styles of music prevalent. The weather made it unbearable for me, not so much the cold, but the snow and ice. I drive all the time, and had to get out of there, just not worth it. If you can take the trains I guess it is better, was just too much in the winter.

• Members

Lots of stuff to do, good food, different styles of music prevalent. The weather made it unbearable for me, not so much the cold, but the snow and ice. I drive all the time, and had to get out of there, just not worth it. If you can take the trains I guess it is better, was just too much in the winter.

I think we'll keep our car and just use it when essential and use the trains or walk the rest of the time

• Members

Lakeview is a decent area. I owned a store and lived there for 10 years. Some great restaurants, close to the EL and not far from wicker park. If you're gonna keep your car, expect to pay a few hundred a month for a parking spot and get nickel and dimed to death on stickers, parking and red-light violations.

If you want to experience Chicago weather at its worst, visit in February.

I love Chicago. Its a unique, diverse city with a decent music scene and culture.

Check out http://chicago.craigslist.org/ to get a feel of housing prices...

Archived