Replacement Transformer

Alan Roberts

• Members

So, I disconnected the power xformer in my '76 JMP and tested it - it's dead. :facepalm: My question: has anyone else had to replace one and what did you use? Mercury? Hammond? Drake? The stock one is a Drake 1202 164 if that helps. What was your opinion of it? I've already googled it so I have a good idea of what's out there, so I'm looking for real experience with a replacement, not ideas on what's available. Not interested in "upgrading the tone", just want it to sound stock. I'd really be hip to finding an old one out of an amp that was retired for other reasons. I can do the repair myself and I'm going to go through the amp tomorrow to see what, if anythng esle got took out when the xformer went. I'd like to keep the cost of the replacement under $300. Let's hear it

• Members

PT? Right? I'd just buy the stock replacement.

That said, I bought a 78 JMP to rebuild and it had Fender Power transformer in it.. I ended up wiring a Full-wave rectifier versus Full-Wave Bridge to get the voltages in the correct range.

• Members

I was shopping for a transfomer about a year ago for my JVM and after a lot of research I called Heyboer (google them). They were actually able to repair my tranny for only $35. However I was prepared to replace it and they offered the best deal. I highly recommend them.

• Members

For a rewind? If so, then that's a bargain.

Not a rewind. It turns out that the PT in my JVM was never lacquered. The frig'in thing was buzzing like a banshee. I mentioned this to the nice folks at Heyboer and the guy said he could lacquer, vacuum bake and ship it back for $35. Nice guy, saved me a good $100-$150 or if you go to Mercury more like $300 for a new PT. He also said if I needed a replacement they could match one up for me for around $100 which is still a very good price.

• Members

Not a rewind. It turns out that the PT in my JVM was never lacquered. The frig'in thing was buzzing like a banshee. I mentioned this to the nice folks at Heyboer and the guy said he could lacquer, vacuum bake and ship it back for $35. Nice guy, saved me a good $100-$150 or if you go to Mercury more like $300 for a new PT. He also said if I needed a replacement they could match one up for me for around $100 which is still a very good price.

Wow, how the hell did that transformer make it past Dagnall QC and then past Marshall QC?

Fair price for the varnish job though. Everything I've seen about Heyboer leads me to believe that they're a good quality firm and excellent to deal with.

• Members
So, I disconnected the power xformer in my '76 JMP and tested it - it's dead. :facepalm: My question: has anyone else had to replace one and what did you use? Mercury? Hammond? Drake? The stock one is a Drake 1202 164 if that helps. What was your opinion of it? I've already googled it so I have a good idea of what's out there, so I'm looking for real experience with a replacement, not ideas on what's available. Not interested in "upgrading the tone", just want it to sound stock. I'd really be hip to finding an old one out of an amp that was retired for other reasons. I can do the repair myself and I'm going to go through the amp tomorrow to see what, if anythng esle got took out when the xformer went. I'd like to keep the cost of the replacement under $300. Let's hear it

• Members

PT? Right? I'd just buy the stock replacement.

That said, I bought a 78 JMP to rebuild and it had Fender Power transformer in it.. I ended up wiring a Full-wave rectifier versus Full-Wave Bridge to get the voltages in the correct range.

I've read that Drake was sold some years ago and isn't really the same quality that it was. I guess Marshall still uses the modern version of the Drake in the reissues but it seems to get mediocre reviews. I'd love to hear from someone who has actually used one as a replacement.

• Members

I was shopping for a transfomer about a year ago for my JVM and after a lot of research I called Heyboer (google them). They were actually able to repair my tranny for only $35. However I was prepared to replace it and they offered the best deal. I highly recommend them.

I had totally forgot about them - thanks. I'll talk to them tomorrow.

• Members

I would be looking for why it went in the first place. They using don't die just from wear and tear, often it means there is a short.

164 is 50-watt, correct?

There are lots of great options. Mojo (Heyboer) - $106; Merren - ???; Marstran (Heyboer) - $145; Magnetic Components - $66. I don't believe Metro offers a stand-up 50-watt PT, but I'm not sure. Of course, if you want to best match, it would have helped to know the secondary HT voltage on the original. Marshall/Drake keep using the same part number despite the PT's all evolving over time.

It died from abuse. I was using it with an old power soak, even though I knew better, so it's my fault. Yeah, I wish I knew original HT voltage, too.

So what's the difference between the Heyboers from Mojo, Merren and Marstran or from them direct?

Have you used any Mercury's? I have put a few in older Fenders and liked them, but never in a Marshall. They were spendy, but sure sounded great.

• Members

It died from abuse. I was using it with an
old power soak
, even though I knew better, so it's my fault. Yeah, I wish I knew original HT voltage, too.

So what's the difference between the Heyboers from Mojo, Merren and Marstran or from them direct?

Have you used any Mercury's? I have put a few in older Fenders and liked them, but never in a Marshall. They were spendy, but sure sounded great.

That might kill a power amp, but there is no reason for it to tax a PT, you're not drawing any more current to push a power soak. But the amp is almost 36 years old, and I can attest to years do wear out just about everything.

Heyboer builds a lot of OEM iron to spec for clients... ore used, laminate thickness, etc. are all up to the client. Mojo, Metro, and Marstran are Heyboer-made and they each gave their own recipe to Heyboer to make them; Merren winds his own (I'm sure that's reflected in the price).

I think Mercury are a good transformer, but over-priced (though they drop in price after the 5th transformer purchased). They rely on hype, there is nothing magical about iron, it's all up to the specs, and they have no exclusive on specs and materials.

Ultimately, as long as they are reliable and made to similar spec, they are all good...you won't gain any real mojo for a PT swap --higher HT means higher headroom, stiffer response; lower HT means lower headroom, more "touch responsive" -- regardless of manufacturer.

With OT's, traditionally Mercury OT's are brighter, stiffer with more overtones, compared to Heyboers being fuller and warmer. People like the former because they feel it sounds more open and excitable...I prefer the latter because it's less ear fatiguing...but ultimately..it's splitting hairs. All good clones of a transformer are 97% the same, and you're mental, the other 3% is apparent in side-by-side tests, but once you pick and stick with one, your own sense of perception renders that 3% moot.

Archived