Woah! My Vox AC30BM is worth more in trade than I paid for it!!

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

IMO...flip it now.

I like the concept...but it's kinda the epitome of "one trick pony"...so if you've grown tired of the trick, get something else...while the gettin's good.

Only hang onto it if you've got the spare cash to purchase exactly what you'd prefer, outright.

What's your estimated trade value?

• Members

IMO...flip it now.

I like the concept...but it's kinda the epitome of "one trick pony"...so if you've grown tired of the trick, get something else...while the gettin's good.

Only hang onto it if you've got the spare cash to purchase exactly what you'd prefer, outright.

What's your estimated trade value?

I like the amp, and it sounds really good......Never played an older Vox....so I can't compare, but I thought it sounded a lot better than a AC30CC through the same speakers.

The only problem I have is that it's extremely loud....it's probably too loud for most modest rock bands. I can't use it at practice, it's a little dark at low volumes, but really opens up with volume.

It's a two trick pony IMO, Really nice cleanish/slightly broken up tones at large live band volumes (use with pedals), and really really awesome overdriven fire breathing tones at ridiculous levels.

I knew it was loud when I bought it....but not that loud......it would need an attenuator to be useable.

Don't need more gear or money, but it's just sitting in my basement waiting for a loud band to come my way. LOL. :(

I considered trading it in towards a Les Paul or SG of some sort.

They're going to give me $1000......I know I couldn't sell it for that.

I'd hate to be 10 years from now have have them be $5000 or something.

• Members

I like the amp, and it sounds really good......Never played an older Vox....so I can't compare, but I thought it sounded a lot better than a AC30CC through the same speakers.

The only problem I have is that it's extremely loud....it's probably too loud for most modest rock bands. I can't use it at practice, it's a little dark at low volumes, but really opens up with volume.

It's a two trick pony IMO, Really nice cleanish/slightly broken up tones at large live band volumes (use with pedals), and really really awesome overdriven fire breathing tones at ridiculous levels.

I knew it was loud when I bought it....but not that loud......it would need an attenuator to be useable.

Don't need more gear or money, but it's just sitting in my basement waiting for a loud band to come my way. LOL.
:(

I considered trading it in towards a Les Paul or SG of some sort.

They're going to give me $1000......I know I couldn't sell it for that.

I'd hate to be 10 years from now have have them be $5000 or something.

There are better, more reliable, investment instruments out there than modern guitar amps. imo.

If it's not really usable currently...get something which is.

I'd love to have it, and that's a good price. But I've heard they're prohibitively loud.

• Members

There are better, more reliable, investment instruments out there than modern guitar amps. imo.

If it's not really usable currently...get something which is.

I'd love to have it, and that's a good price. But I've heard they're prohibitively loud.

Yeah, I see them becoming collectible because there are only 500 of them, but most places still have NOS.

I have a few other amps that I can use, so I don't need more amps. I've been GAS'ing for a Les Paul mostly.....at least for now we know those hold their value as well. Something vintage would kick ass....but I don't really need that either. :o

I love the amp, love the tone, love having it, but it really is impractical.

Even with the 15w/30w modes it's just sooooooooo gosh darn loud.

• Members

Will a -6dB cut help getting it to open up without the volume?

6dB down is 1/2 the "volume".

But attenuators undeniably alter the tone. There are trade-offs. It's certainly something to investigate. Just remember you're still running the amp flat out, which has implications for tubes and transformers...shortening life.

• Members

I think you better find out what it sounds like WITH the attenuator first. Some people are convinced it sounds exactly the same or better...by my mileage varies in that regard. Yours may or may not.

I'll expound...I think there's a lot that happens in the whole entire circuit...and amp/speakers/volume-air is all just a part of that. Change the equation and change the answer. Possibly.

Archived