This guy seems able to get things out of his Koch that I can't get from mine :(

draelyc

• Members

I'm diggin' this '80s hard rock tone. I know it's not the greatest in the history of Earth or nuffin', but I likes it.

[video=youtube;E9eddnqt1ak]

Thing is, he's playing the same amp I as own, a Koch Studiotone. He's running it through Greenbacks instead of a CL80, but I have a Greenie cab, too, and my high gain sound doesn't seem as full.

Must be the Les Pauls? :idk::cry:

• Members

Sounds like, to me anyway, that amp is already sold.

I predict a JCM800 2204 will be entering your life sometime this year.

Lol, I dunno, mang. No takers, yet, and mine does sound better with the new power tubes. Maybe my dissatisfaction has been due to user-error? :idk:

Not that I wouldn't rock the hell outta the JCM :rawk:

• Members

Lol, I dunno, mang. No takers, yet, and mine does sound better with the new power tubes. Maybe my dissatisfaction has been due to user-error?
:idk:

Not that I wouldn't rock the hell outta the JCM
:rawk:

Just to confuse you a bit more...... I get all kinds of tones out of my JCM. Even clean tones. Of course, that mid range growl is really where it's at. But anyway........BAST AMP N 4EVA.

• Members

Just to confuse you a bit more...... I get all kinds of tones out of my JCM. Even clean tones. Of course, that mid range growl is really where it's at. But anyway........BAST AMP N 4EVA.

Dig. How do you run yours most often? Cabs/speakers? Do you have a loop in yours? LOl ~ I'm hijackin' this thread! :evil:

Edit: See, I'm thinking that my Speed Twin covers pretty much the same territory as the Marshall would, gnome sane?

• Members

Dig. How do you run yours most often? Cabs/speakers? Do you have a loop in yours? LOl ~ I'm hijackin' this thread!
:evil:

It's yo tred. Hijack away you koch diddler........

Anyway, firstly, to piss you off. My JCM800 is a 1982 2204 that was given to me with a 1965-4x10 cabinet. Came from a very close friend who was getting out of music and starting a family. I tried to reimburse him somehow but he was having none of it. I even let i go to the point that his mother said to me and I quote "Come get that amp out of my house tomorrow or I am putting it out for the garbagemen."

As far as how I have it set, EQ is pretty much straight up. I rarely use the 4-10 cabinet. Using instead a 2x12 Kustom CTS tuck and roll deal with bass ports on the front. The speakers are, no joke, a pair of 90watt Pyle Drivers that I put in there back in like 1993. I've been thinking about replacing them. But the more I play thru them, the more I realize they sound damn good. So I would hate to spend the money to replace only to be disapointed. I have read that some people here feel the JCMs' don't have much in the way of bass response. Well, with the ported cabinet, bass is hardly a issue. Actually, it can get real woofy and gnarly. Also, the amp originally had 6550 power tubes. But I had it converted to EL34s' and I couldn't be happier. Along with some vintage Penta Labs 12ax7a pre-amp tubes. The {censored}er just straight up slays.

For the record, when I swapped the pickups in my main Strat is when the EQ went straight up. They are Wilde/Bill Lawrence pickups which as far as I can tell are pretty damn well balanced EQ wise.

• Members

Speed Twin is a FEnder? No?

I have a '73 Silverface Twin sitting right next to my JCM. Polar opposites. But each, when set proper, can kind of get into the others territory. I love them both equally though.

Now I must shower and go to stupid work. I smelly.

Edit; So I don't sound like a complete fool.... When I say set proper, I mean a dirt pedal in front of the Twin and none in front of the JCM. Also, a 12AT7 in the PI spot of the JCM surprised the {censored} out of me. It was bordering on shimmering Fender cleans. But it wasn't a proper MArshall sound.

Archived