SOT: Okay, how much hassle/expense is it to ship an amp from USA to Canada?

draelyc

• Members

Don't ship via UPS. I bought a Bogner and a Port City cab from two separate buyers. The Bogner came unscathed, but I had to pay $400 in duties to get it in my house. The Port City cab suffered a bit of minor shipping damage and still cost me $130 in duties. I hear USPS has better rates though, so :idk:

W.

• Members

If it's a private sale, you can ship it as a gift or something like that, via USPS (preferably), UPS or FedEx.

If it's an eBay sale or something, you have to claim the product value for duty fees. Best way is to ship it duty-paid via UPS or FedEx. Otherwise, ship USPS. Their duty fees aren't nearly as expensive as UPS and FedEx.

• Members

If it's a private sale, you can ship it as a gift or something like that, via USPS (preferably), UPS or FedEx.

If it's an eBay sale or something, you have to claim the product value for duty fees. Best way is to ship it duty-paid via UPS or FedEx. Otherwise, ship USPS. Their duty fees aren't nearly as expensive as UPS and FedEx.

It'd be a private sale ... so that means I just wouldn't say anything about it when shipping it, right? It's just a package I'm mailing?

• Members

It'd be a private sale ... so that means I just wouldn't say anything about it when shipping it, right? It's just a package I'm mailing?

That is Federal Fraud, your risk. I wouldn't {censored} with that just to save them some money on fees.

Yes, that means you do the packing, chances are USPS won't touch that the topic of packing it themselves. flight case, custom fit, wrap up the tubes.

• Members

That is Federal Fraud, your risk. I wouldn't {censored} with that just to save them some money on fees.

Yes, that means you do the packing, chances are USPS won't touch that the topic of packing it themselves. flight case, custom fit, wrap up the tubes.

Whoa ~ not trying to pull a fast one, here! :o Just genuinely ignorant when it comes to international selling/shipping. I want to find out if it would be cost-preventative to sell to this guy who's asking about my amp, and it sounds like it might be... :idk:

• Members

I've never had much trouble getting stuff from the US. There's probably going to be a bit of a delay (especially with USPS/Canada Post) but that's to be expected with stuff going through customs.

Don't use loose packing materials - good chance they'll open it at customs to take a peek inside and those guys don't really care about taking their time to repackage it well. So if the safety of the amp relies on a complex packing job, don't count on it being so safe on this side of the border. Simple is better. :thu:

As said, definitely get his phone number - it's required on the customs forms.

If he wants to avoid duty fees and is close to the border, check out shipping centers like the Corporate Center in Ogdensburg. Ship it there and he can go pick it up from them and smuggle it across the border...or just do it to avoid the MASSIVE brokerage fees charged by UPS and FedEx.

• Members

Ive never shipped to canada via USPS, but with my cab it was deemed to big for USPS to ship to canada for some reason and mine was a smaller Avatar 2x12.

:freak:

Hrmmm ... I dunno about this. Prolly should've stipulated conus only.

• Members

Ive never shipped to canada via USPS, but with my cab it was deemed to big for USPS to ship to canada for some reason and mine was a smaller Avatar 2x12.

If I remember correctly, heads (packed with a couple inches on each side) are about as large as USPS will do.

• Members

The majority of my amps I have bought (at least 8 or 9) from the US and I definitely prefer USPS. Customs will use the insured value (and country of manufacture) to determine duties and taxes. What I usually request is only $100 insurance (and very good packing). I know its a gamble, but so far so good and it has saved me a load of hassle and $$.

• Members

As a former Canadian resident who has bought quite a few amps from the US here's my reccs:

First, ship USPS. Both Fedex and UPS charge exhorbitant rates to do a page of paperwork.

Second, DON'T lie about the sale and the value. If something goes wrong, like the package gets lost, you're {censored}ed.

Ship with tracking. Ship AFTER the money clears.

Get all his info and give him yours.

Over pack it.

And that's it.

• Members

Welp, I appreciate all the advice & experiences, y'all. I quoted him a price for the shipping and he passed. It's cool -- I may end up just keeping this amp, afterall.
:idk:

I buy a lot of stuff from the US, but never anything more than $200 or bigger than a microphone. Brokerage and duty fees are a killer, and as said shipping it without claiming the value is risky.

I've bought a couple guitar amps from the US, though. I had them shipped to a friend in Buffalo (for free shipping) and then just claimed my purchase as I crossed back into Canada. They charge you the sales tax at the border and that's it. It's cheaper and easier though to just buy locally. They purposely make it difficult to purchase across the border because respective governments want you to buy goods (and pay taxes) in their country.

Archived