So who has Blown Up an Amp?

Nick H

• Members

People say tube amps will blow up if you hook them up wrong or etc. Who has blown one up? How? and what do they do when they blow up? Is it just like the tubes breaking, or is it like a mini mushroom cloud of fire or what? :confused:

• Members

I blew up my 100w Vintage Modern.

By playing it too loud.

Pop, fizzle, fade out, smoke.

Presume a tube let go, which in turn killed something on the board. There was a black sooty area on the PCB where there looks to have been some kind of fire or small explosion.

Here:

SV103066.jpg

• Members

have blown up;

80-something laney AOR Pro Tube Lead 100

79 Marshall superbass 100

some turd Marsahll Valvestate 1x12 combo.

big blue flshes of light, a crackling sound & lots of smoke.

When my Broe blew up his '72 marshall Superbass, it caught on fire.

• Members

I've come close, but never actually blown one up. Didn't hook up a speaker load when using the line-out once. Noob mistake. Blew the fuse, but was able to replace the fuse without any problems.

I have "blown up" a marshall cab. The {censored}ty plastic stereo input burned up on me at practice. Bad smell, followed by loss of volume, then nothing....Was a cheap fix though.

• Members

Never. I've played hundreds of shows, thousands of hours of band rehearsals, and who knows how many hours of solo jamming, and I've never so much as blown a fuse, let alone had an amp actually die on me. Furthermore, I've never had a power tube completely quit on me, I just replace them if I think they must be getting tired...{censored}, I haven't even broken a string in five years.

• Members

Never blown up an amp, although I hooked up a Leslie kit to a Hammond organ once and didn't have the cable plugged into the Leslie - the output transformer in the organ's amp now has a short in it and requires a sharp blow occasionally. :idk:

• Members

Presume a tube let go, which in turn killed something on the board. There was a black sooty area on the PCB where there looks to have been some kind of fire or small explosion.

Resistors don't normally pop like that, but definitely possible if a power tube failed and suddenly dumped a {censored} load of power through it .

My DSL blew up because I was playing it super loud, the output transformer failed. No smoke or smell, but didn't work right. I think maybe the cabinet I was using wasn't quite 8 ohms like it said.

• Members

I had the Classic 30 I got used from GC blow up on me. It worked just long enough for me to order a tube tamer for it, and then it went bang when I turned it on one night. Nice blue flash when one of the power tubes blew out. I replaced the bad tube, but it didn't make a sound after that.

• Members

Usually they just stop working. No smoke or fire unless you did something completely retarded.

I blew up an amp once... for being retarded.

It was a solid state fender 212, had two inputs... the other guitar player in my band (we were 15 then) was plugged into one input, and I the other. Lasted a 20 minute set... and on last open chord boom. Burnt up. Not with flames... but smoked a lot. :facepalm:

• Members

The closest I have come to anything like that was with my VTM. One of my power tubes got extremely bright and hot (red plating/arcing), and I didn't notice because I was rocking out. Apparently the heat got so intense that the label on the base of the tube burst into flames. Definitely resulted in a mini panic attack.

• Members

I blew up my 100w Vintage Modern.

By playing it too loud.

Pop, fizzle, fade out, smoke.

Here:

SV103066.jpg

Looks like a resistor exploded.

One Thanksgiving, before my Dad died, I had music playing through a pair of Dynaco Mark III mono-block 60 watt power amps, both about 30-40 years old. All of a sudden the smoke detector went off. One of the two had cooked its power transformer......Still have it in the basement somewhere...

• Members

I blew up a Marhsall 8008 power amp. Had a Pod Pro running into it and wanted to go stereo. Plugged the right and left into a Marshall 1960 cab and forgot to flip the cab's switch to stereo. Played about 3 minutes then a bunch of smoked rolled out of it. Not sure what was wrong with it, but a repair man at an electronics place and a guitar repair guy both told me it would be cheaper to buy a new one.

• Members

THOUGHT I blew up an amp a few years ago, but actually it was the club's Marshall 4x12 that some numb-nuts had re-wired (or MIS-wired, rather) - the amp didn't blow up, but the cab caught fire and flames were shooting up from the back; had to extinguish it, and ended up filling my tremoverb head with the powder from the fire extinguisher. Nasty stuff.

• Members

I built a Matchless Spitfire amp head out of a Hammond organ head once. It worked great but there was this tiny bead of solder bouncing around inside there that I didn't know about. One day it bounced somewhere near the power section and a sound like a small firecracker went off. The amp was fine after that. I never found that solder bead.

Archived