Recording guys...do you ever sidechain the kick in rock music?

OverDriven

• Members

I know this is a common practice in electronic/dance music, but I'm wondering if any of you guys do this with rock/metal tracks. Obviously you wouldn't want to do it to the same extreme you find in dance music (where the track is "pumping"). I've just been messing with some electronic stuff in Ableton tonight and discovered how hard you can make the kick hit with sidechain compression since it momentarily reduces everything else's volume and allows the kick to use the amp's full power. I haven't tried it with a rock track yet, but I'm curious...

• Members

I know a dude in Cleveland that uses a lot of side chain and ducking on snare and kicks. His {censored} sounds like dick IMO.

Thanks for the input. I wonder why he's doing it on snare. It's not like the snare takes up much energy since it's mostly high/high-mid frequencies. I'm going to have to try this myself to find out.

• Members

So how do you guys sidechain?

Send some of the channel you want to compress with (the one you want to poke out more) through the aux to the side chain input on your compressor. It will then compress the channel running though the comp.

Im hoping you where asking to? well thats how i was gunna do it anyway

• Members

Yeah, I love it, I think I might be over using it, doing replacement of all the close mics and blending them with overheads, but {censored} it. It sounds so great.

Yeah dude, They sound like {censored} by themselves but with room and overheads they kick ass :thu:

• Members

Yeah, {censored} sounds funky Isolated, but in the mix it's tits. They sit perfect. Made me re-evalute my whole idea on how drums should sound.

Drums should sound like clicks and weird completely inorganic digital cymbal hits (exactly the same each time) and should be fixed to be in inhumanly perfect time no matter what.

The bass should be non-existent in the mix at all. :o

• Members

Drums should sound like clicks and weird completely inorganic digital cymbal hits (exactly the same each time) and should be fixed to be in inhumanly perfect time no matter what.

The bass should be non-existent in the mix at all.
:o

I know your joking, but Imo the art doing replacing individual drum mics and mixing them with overheads is invaluable to learn. I would never replace cymbals though. {censored} that. Mixing replaced drum samples with the natural sounds of the kit you get from a good pair of overheads like my Neumann KM184s sounds {censored}ing tits.

• Members

why would you want drums 'out of the way' in rock music? always seemed to me like you duck stuff to keep it outa the way of the vox-- but without the sorta 'central heartbeat' of the rhythm section, you'd kinda lose the drive of rock music.

hell.. i'd rather duck vocals to get them out of the way of the rhythm section.. :D

• Members

why would you want drums 'out of the way' in rock music? always seemed to me like you duck stuff to keep it outa the way of the vox-- but without the sorta 'central heartbeat' of the rhythm section, you'd kinda lose the drive of rock music.

hell.. i'd rather duck vocals to get them out of the way of the rhythm section..
:D

You misread. I'm talking about ducking the guitars and bass when the kick hits to make more room for the kick.

• Members

I know your joking, but Imo
the art
doing replacing individual drum mics and mixing them with overheads is invaluable to learn. I would never replace cymbals though. {censored} that. Mixing replaced drum samples with the natural sounds of the kit you get from a good pair of overheads like my Neumann KM184s sounds {censored}ing tits.

Recording is an art. And thanks to all of you around here, some albums have drum stuff especially that grates on me now. Like, all the drums will sound pretty good except one of the cymbals is obviously (and badly) replaced digitally. I figure sample replacement is done on tons of albums and most of the time I'd have no clue. That's pretty cool to me. :)

• Members

When my friends next album is released, I'll have to post a track because they did a fair amount of sidechaining and the drums sound monstrous! It's a doom band,.so it's slow and has room in the mix to get such a big sound, but in the right context, any and all techniques should be experimented with..

• Members

Recording is an art. And thanks to all of you around here, some albums have drum stuff especially that grates on me now. Like, all the drums will sound pretty good except one of the cymbals is obviously (and badly) replaced digitally. I figure sample replacement is done on tons of albums and most of the time I'd have no clue. That's pretty cool to me.
:)

I would never replace cymbals, I can't imagine that would sound anything but like monstrous dick.

Archived