Speaker Recommendation

erhunk

• Members

I have a Ceriatone Champ Ultra and I still don't think I found the right speaker for it. I've tried a bunch of 8" speakers but whenever I go to Guitar Center and play a Blues Jr, it sounds just right, big and bright. I'm pretty sure my amp can sound that nice, maybe even less shrill, but the 8" speakers I tried never did it for me.

I'm in between Ragin Cajun (10") and a Celestion Seventy 80 (12"). Which one do you suggest in an open back cabinet for that Fender clean sound?

• Members

Cool!

I hate the seventy 80. It came stock with my Traynor YCV40. I couldn't swap it out fast enough. Everything sounds better.

Check out the Eminence Red White & Blues or something from the WGS line.

I'm hesitant to start dropping too many speaker model names because:

1. Do you only play clean, or do you like higher gain?

2. Is weight a concern?

3. Are there any 12"s you already hate?

etc.

• Members

1. Do you only play clean, or do you like higher gain?

2. Is weight a concern?

3. Are there any 12"s you already hate?

etc.

Since I found good deals on 70/80 and Ragin Cajun, I specified these two in particular. I've heard only good things about RC and not many good things about 70/80. But 70/80 is 12" so I wanted to ask.

I don't only play clean but good cleans is a must. I use a RAT and a Muff for high gain stuff.

From your answer I understand RC is better despite being 10"...

• Members

The 70/80 is a decent speaker, ill use it if its in a stock amp but frankly its not good enough to go out and buy as a replacement.

Have you tried the Jensen mod 8/20? Its a very nice 8 inch speaker and i usually hate speakers that small. Its also alarmingly cheap.

Also if you are going for that fender clean sound you should really look into Jensens in general.

• Members

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I can get a 70/80 for free (literally). Or I can have a Ragin Cajun for about $30. I don't gig often so I don't want to spend a fortune for the speaker. I'm sure there are better speakers out there but among the two, it looks like 70/80 is OK. Any ideas on Ragin Cajun - especially compared to an OK 12" speaker?

Archived