Verizon FiOS people... I'm switching from U-Verse; Good idea?

Ron Burgandy

• Members

Verizon is offering a ridiculous deal compared to U-Verse who has been sucking balls as of late.

my u-verse dvr crapped out a few months ago. since then I've gone through a bunch of replacements since they all suck. laggy, one harddrive failure, and other issues. For the first 18 months or so the u-verse dvr was sexy, but since then it's been terrible.

my price has been going up at an alarming rate. it started off high, but due to great service I was ok with that. Now, I've dropped my tv from u450 to u200 but my bill has jumped from ~$120 to $170 :freak:

verizon is offering faster internet (25down/25up vs 18/1 for u-verse), better tv package (NFL network!!!), and as part of their current deal they include an unlimited service home phone line for less than I'm paying for {censored}ty u-verse.

Anyone have and like FiOS? I had them years ago, but didn't use their DVR and at the time internet speed was much slower.

• Members

*DC Metro area. Your results may differ.

-Internet
Nothing but positives.
You get the speeds you pay for and it's reliable.

-TV
Packages will depend on what channels you watch, just like cable
Limited outages. I've had 2 over that past +5 years and they were specific to one channel. So it probably wasn't even their fault.
The on-demand stuff is hit or miss depending on what you like.
The guide info comes from the router. So if you switch it off/disconnect it you will not have any guide info.
The Get the Fios app. It is faster and more responsive than the IR remote. You can use its keyboard.
The DVR works. You can choose to record only new episodes, episodes during that time, and all occurring showings regardless of the channel it comes on. Using a keyboard is preferable when searching.
The thing I hated is they constantly have weekly offers that popup when you try to use the guide. You have to dig through the menus to disable it.

A word of warning: Pay attention to your bill. Verizon apparently likes to put in unnecessary surcharges. There was a $10 one on the initial setup.

Do not let the installation tech install anything on your computer. Verizon has a CD that they tell techs to install Fios features. I'm not saying it's a trojan or anything, but I don't see a need for the install.

• Members

Totally different area (I'm in NJ) but Verizon internet is great - never had a single problem with it, and its quick/never slows down.

I don't watch the TV service much, but we have it. It can be glitchy bringing up the different TV Guide menus - like ~20 second delay glitchy, but after that hiccup works out I've never had a problem with it otherwise. The triple play package or whatever it is, phone/tv/internet is pretty expensive though after they take you off of the promotional special pricing.

• Members

Werd.

I recently bumped up my u-verse Internet to the 18mbps, but my speedtest results are 12down/1.4 up max. iPhone, work laptop and personal laptop all consistent. That's like 50% more speed I'm paying for but not getting. 25/25 is sounding {censored}in awesome right now. Thanks for the tip on the iPhone app :thu: got both installed and psyched about using them.

Damn uverse used to kick ass and only cost a bit more :(

• Members

Totally different area (I'm in NJ) but Verizon internet is great - never had a single problem with it, and its quick/never slows down.

I don't watch the TV service much, but we have it. It can be glitchy bringing up the different TV Guide menus - like ~20 second delay glitchy, but after that hiccup works out I've never had a problem with it otherwise. The triple play package or whatever it is, phone/tv/internet is pretty expensive though after they take you off of the promotional special pricing.

Is that regular Verizon Internet or fios? My triple play deal is good for the duration of the contract. No price hikes or intro offer.

• Members

Started out with Verizon FiOS then it become Frontier (which I've never heard of before). It was awesome with Verizon, it's still awesome with Frontier. I only have internet with them.

Do it.

{censored}in A THIS!!!!!

I love my Frontier Fios.

I think it's $54/month

(No teaser rates here. This is the price. I'm sure it will inch up eventually though.)

Archived