Fyrette's and V30s

sonnyg84

• Members

I run my Deliverance through V30s and it sounds great, but can get ice-picky VERY easily. Haven't tried P50Es yet, but I hope to do so as soon as I can find a VHT cab used for a decent price.

Pretty much exactly my thoughts. I'm running my Sig:X through V30's at band practice and through a k100 at home, and have to adjust the highs for sure. I was actually a bit concerned about using V30's with it, but it turned out nicely. Still going to get a Deliverance cab at some point, though.

• Members

p50e.jpg

Some of that stuff in there are way off reality. WAY off!!! About the low end or the harsh top end due to suspension etc. Worst? Front loading it that could produce again "treble distortion". Well, some of the best sounds came for me front front loaded closed or open back V30 cabinets and what is more, palm mute was excellent with body and I'd swear I'd want MORE high end. Not less. Plus I thought that the V30 was always a middy speaker.

I could imagine these statements have more to do with the fryette sound/amps/design in combination with the V30 rather than the speaker itself.

• Members

Well I recently acquired a Sig X and I'm trying to find a cab for it. The Fryette cabs are expensive and it seems to me that the P50E speakers aren't nearly the better of the Eminence line. There's a guy in town selling a mint Ibanez Thermion 4x12 cabinet (V30s) and I'm wondering if its going to compliment the Sig. V30 cabs seem to be easy to come by than Eminence cabs.

• Members

Never liked the sound of VHTs thru V30s. If you don't have an Emi loaded cab right there for a head to head comparison, yes, you might think they work well. But in reality they just don't match. Plug in a Rectifier or a Marshall thru the V30s cabinet and you'll see what I mean.

• Members

Actually, if I remember correctly, its said that the P50E's are identical to the V128's. But, its alot easier and cheaper just to get a used loaded cab. Hmmm, Which one is the question.

Well, that's definitely not true about those speakers being identical. For one, the V128 handles 120 watts as opposed to the P50E's 50, and the V128 is a lot darker and smoother sounding. I own both FWIW. I don't think you could go wrong with any of those three speakers.

• Members

I run an Ultra Lead through V30s. I'd very much like to try out a Deliverance cabinet some day, but for now, I'm happy with my sound. There seems to be this dogma among a lot of Fryette users that they ONLY sound good through Fryette cabs. I have no doubt that they do sound glorious, that way, but I think that, if you've always liked the way V30s have sounded with other amps, you'll probably like them with the Fryette, as well. I know that Dave Weiner uses V30s with his Ultra Lead, and his recorded tones are fantastic.

• Members

Well, that's definitely not true about those speakers being identical. For one, the V128 handles 120 watts as opposed to the P50E's 50, and the V128 is a lot darker and smoother sounding. I own both FWIW. I don't think you could go wrong with any of those three speakers.

Speaker ratings are subject to change also. We've just received a shipment of V30s from China, they're 50W and sound different from every single V30 I've ever heard (in a good way) :)

• Members

Please elaborate on the new china V30s. Can make out any differences? (looks etc).

here are some photos for ya..

celestionv30front.jpg

celestionv30back.jpg

celestionv30label.jpg

As you can see, these are 50W - different from the most common 60W and the less common 80W versions. Either this is a totally new model/batch (nobody in Russia has received them yet apart from us), or this is some kind of a Hiwatt spec V30 (because we got them thru our friends in UK). Regardless, I like how they sound. And I always hated V30s.

• Members

Whats this 80w V30 you speak of ? An OEM version for a particular company ?

Might be, I don't know for sure. We had a couple of customers with various combos and cabs bring them in for repairs, and they had 80W celestion v30s in them. Didn't like the way they sounded too.

Archived