Kustom Defender 5H?

munizfire

• Members

I have a friend that wants a tube amp, but doesn't have the cash, and some one is offering him a Kustom Defender 5H for 50 bux...

He's been bugging the hell out of me these last couple of days for advice, but I have never been motivated to even try one :idk:

Are they worth $50

Or could he do any mods to make it sound good?

• Members

I found it was good for clean to lowish gain stuff. A drive pedal works okay with it, but the amp gets loud VERY {censored}ing fast. They also hum pretty loud, but if your friend plays loud enough he won't notice.

I have no idea how it would sound with a metal muff. I don't get what is so hard these days to just try something out.

• Members

I have one (see sig). I got mine off local classifieds for $70, and it was worth it at that price. $50, tell him to hit it.

I used mine for band practice for months and it kept up fine. It's super limited in stock trim: it has one decent sound and that's it. With the volume at about 10 o'clock, it's loud as {censored}, and just breaking up into something AC/DCish. I used that as a semi-clean rhythm tone, and my SD-1 to kick it into full-on crunch. Past noon on the knob, I found it fairly useless, as it was still loud as {censored}, but the overdrive was kind of ratty and blatty, and it wanted to feed back really badly.

ETA: It would probably love your friend's Metal Muff. It likes my SD-1 at pretty much all gain and output settings (and the SD-1 actually makes it into a fairly versatile amp). Also, there are quite a few mods out there for it - everything from adding a master volume or tone controls, to retrofitting it with a new OT and a socket for a 6V6.

• Members

thanks!

doesn't give me a boner, actually, it isn't great. but I think It'll make a good modding amp

Good buy. I know that demo is the one with the most hits on YT, but it really isn't a great one. (Not knocking the guy who made it, who I believe is a HCAF member.) You can tell it's a hastily done thing, and "straight into the amp, using single coil pickups, into a 4x12 cab" is really not close to the operating conditions most people will be using it under.

Archived