What guitar tone do you love?

Soundstorm

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Depends what you mean by "tone". I can't pick one person though.

Searing lead tones? Probably Petrucci and Gilbert

Beautiful tones? David Gilmore

Metal tones? Opeth

By the way, why does this thing tell me that Petrucci is misspelled but the suggested replacement is "firetruck"? WTF?

• Members

always thought it was funny how there are, like, entire websites dedicated to figuring out exactly which version big muff corgan used on that record. meanwhile, i think he spent like a full year driving butch vig out of his mind in the studio getting completely OCD about every single tone throughout the album. no one big muff is going to duplicate that level of insanity/commitment to great sound

• Members

[video=youtube;yZTkj8dgGNE]

im really diggin the lead blues guitar jangle lately :idk:

also some of the stuff ive heard from mayall and the bluesbreakers (which i cant find anything good on youtube) but yeah the stuff just effing rules.

i like metal as much as the next guy but it has come full circle i guess, this stuff is just far less fatiguing to my ears.

• Members

always thought it was funny how there are, like, entire websites dedicated to figuring out exactly which version big muff corgan used on that record. meanwhile, i think he spent like a full year driving butch vig out of his mind in the studio getting completely OCD about every single tone throughout the album. no one big muff is going to duplicate that level of insanity/commitment to great sound

Here it is :)

corganmuff.jpg

It's a late '70s op-amp model. You can see the marks on it where they wanted the settings kept. I think the trick of the Siamese Dream sound though is the 30+ layers of guitar on each riff :D

• Members

i also really like everything on the more recent place to bury strangers record, his {censored} is bananas. he doesn't even try to duplicate it live though, just blasts straight into noise-massacre and you can't even tell what song it is for a second. but it's still cool cause playing live is really handled as a different context in that band

• Members

Here it is
:)

corganmuff.jpg

It's a late '70s op-amp model. You can see the marks on it where they wanted the settings kept. I think the trick of the Siamese Dream sound though is the 30+ layers of guitar on each riff
:D

And running the power amp (JCM 800 2203 with KT-88s) at the point where it just starts to distort. :thu:

Archived