Sell me on/disuade me from a Pitbull 50/CL

spawnofthesith

• Members

I was planning on getting a used engl blackmore pending the sale of my 5150, but I just found a vht/fryette Pitbull 50/CL on the local craigslist for $1000. Should I hit it? My main requirements are that it has good modern high gain sounds, and that the clean channel plays nicely with fuzz

• Members

If it's an EQ model, that might be a decent price depending on its condition. For a non-EQ model, that's pretty steep.

For the record, I have an non-EQ model (1997, good condition) that I got for $840 plus shipping. Personally, I do NOT think the amp needs a graphic EQ to sound its best. It's just the GEQ models have higher resale value.

• Members

If it's an EQ model, that might be a decent price depending on its condition. For a non-EQ model, that's pretty steep.

For the record, I have an non-EQ model (1997, good condition) that I got for $840 plus shipping. Personally, I do NOT think the amp needs a graphic EQ to sound its best. It's just the GEQ models have higher resale value.

Tbh the GEQ is way too powerful to be truly useful in most cases. It's kinda hard to find the sweet spot, and the tiniest movement makes big changes. That being said, it sounds GREAT set flat and loud.

• Members

These may be of use to you.

Metal, RGD, blackout, drop A

http://soundcloud.com/mdv/rooted-seek-solace-in-ruin

SLSMG, 81, hardcore-ish, drop B

http://soundcloud.com/mdv/hadleys-hope-horizons

Death-thrash, Aftermath, drop B

http://soundcloud.com/mdv/apotheosis-by-mdv

Hard rock, LP, 85, drop D

http://soundcloud.com/mdv/04-miles-from-the-lightning

Rock, E, ducan, dont know what kind

http://soundcloud.com/mdv/01-heartbreaker

All guitars there are through a pittbull CL 100EQ, including the cleans (in the middle and at the end of 'Miles From the Lightning'). The EQ is in use in each one. Cab is always an ubercab, mic/s vary, ITB treatment is minimal (a bit of EQ, never more than 3db or so). Extremely capable and versatile amp.

• Members

All guitars there are through a pittbull CL 100EQ, including the cleans (in the middle and at the end of 'Miles From the Lightning'). The EQ is in use in each one. Cab is always an ubercab, mic/s vary, ITB treatment is minimal (a bit of EQ, never more than 3db or so). Extremely capable and versatile amp.

Thanks! all those clips sound great. I especially like the tone in the first one.

Hmm $350 less than the blackmore, I think I might do it

• Members

Thanks! all those clips sound great. I especially like the tone in the first one.

Hmm $350 less than the blackmore, I think I might do it

You do right. Its rare I use my JVM or powerball over it. (It also completely devoured a 6505+ in A/Bs in my home studio recently).

• Members

That first clip sounds incredible.

• Members

I've got one with the EQ and it's a fantastic amp. I've been meaning to sell it because I lost my job and funds have been getting tighter, but I haven't brought myself to do it yet. Mine is one of the older ones that you could use el34's or 6l6's with... not sure if that's an option on the newer ones. It sounds like a pretty good deal for a grand, but it wouldn't hurt to offer him a little less. All he can do is say no.

• Members

I've got one with the EQ and it's a fantastic amp. I've been meaning to sell it because I lost my job and funds have been getting tighter, but I haven't brought myself to do it yet. Mine is one of the older ones that you could use el34's or 6l6's with... not sure if that's an option on the newer ones. It sounds like a pretty good deal for a grand, but it wouldn't hurt to offer him a little less. All he can do is say no.

Mine is the same. Its a 2000 model. I tried it with 6L6s, didnt like it (as much at least; low end got woollier and it lost some aggression and punch in the mids. It still sounded awesome but it was a step down). Using tungsol EL34Bs in the power section now. They stopped doing the option because the amps are optimised for one kind of power valve.

• Members

BTW I disagree with everyone about the EQ.. I wouldnt have have one without the EQ. It is VERY sensitive but it makes the amp more versatile.

I've never played one without the EQ, but I can't imagine it would be an improvement over one with. I did play mine with the EQ off, and I always ended up turning it right back on. I personally dug the sensitivity of the EQ on the amp... like you said, it makes it more versatile.

• Members

I was considering it. I can get myself past the one channel because I have experienced how well it repsonds to the volume knob, but the lack of a loop is a deal breaker for me

If you would prefer a deliverance sound but with an FX loop over a 50CL, a Sig X comes very close to the Deliverance sound, but is obviously much more flexible.

Archived