Randall RM series of amps, never took off did they? K-Bizzle?

SnowStorm

• Members

First off, it's been forever since I've posted in here. Like 2 years. I recognize some of the old names. Glad to see things haven't changed a whole lot.

These Randall RM amps never really seemed to take off did they? The ones with the modules you can swap in and out. I know K-Bizzle had a RM50 that he always said good things about. I'm looking at these amps now and they're selling like half off of what they used to be brand new. Did people just not like the sound of these things or what? I was always surprised more people didn't use them. Does anyone know if they're not reliable or something?

I'm putting my flame suit on as I know it will take a couple of answers to get an informative one. Thanks guys.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still have my Egnater M4 and about 7 Egnater modules.

I guess I wish it would have been more widely accepted.

I guess Randall and Egnater have both stopped developing the concept.

I guess they didn't really take off.

I guess it was kind of a niche thing meant for tinkerers with lots of cash to blow.

FWIW, They sound great. :idk:

• Members

I got an RM100 combo off of CL for dirt cheap. It's a nice amp but I don't like it any better than my other amps. Lots of sounds are possible if you want to spend the money on buying/trading/selling modules to find what you like. :idk: I'm not much of a tweaker though so it's not really for me.

Actually been trying to get rid of it recently but no one has been biting. I think I'm just going to take it to Music Go Round and be done with it.

• Members

Thanks. It seemed like an awesome concept. I remember you having the Egnater with the modules.
Bruce was hired by Randall to make their modules right?
They must sound pretty good.

Not exactly.

Bruce invented/patented the concept

He licensed it to Randall.

Bruce did actually build the Rocktron Vendetta VP-4 rackmount preamp though. There are only 25 of them floating around.

• Members

New modules can get kinda expensive, especially if you get the better modded ones. With some of them, you just wish you were playing the actual amp instead of the module.

That all said, they do sound damn good and give you a TON of flexibility. Its just that when your eyes see "Plexi" or "Blackface" you want it to sound just like that amp which is impossible.

Funny thing is the Tweaker is the result of Bruce messing around with those modules and the Tweaker amps really took off. Turns out most people just want fender, vox and/or marshall based sounds and don't need a billion different preamps.

• Members

I always just thought the whole concept was cool and thought it would be cool to have one of the amps. I just wondered why I didn't see more people talking about them or using them. I would rather just have the amp I want such as just having a Fender or Vox or Marshall, etc.

• Members

Cool concept. If the modules weren't 200+ bucks apiece, I would've been more interested. But cost-wise, it kinda started to look similar to having a rack rig with a bunch of single-channel preamps. Add to that most people wanted their modules modded, it could easily get more expensive than I'd want it to.

• Members

Cool concept. If the modules weren't 200+ bucks apiece, I would've been more interested. But cost-wise, it kinda started to look similar to having a rack rig with a bunch of single-channel preamps. Add to that most people wanted their modules modded, it could easily get more expensive than I'd want it to.

That was pretty much my thinking after I got my combo and started looking at modules. Plus the combo is like 300 pounds... not quite something I want to haul around... :freak:

• Members

Not exactly.

Bruce invented/patented the concept

He licensed it to Randall.

Bruce did actually build the Rocktron Vendetta VP-4 rackmount preamp though. There are only 25 of them floating around.

You left out they Hired Joe Delanny from Bugera

• Members

i still have mine, rm100kh

great amp

i had one issue with a bad pot, other then that its been fine.

it really is too bad these amps didint do better, i was hoping for soem new modules soon..i guess thats not gonna happen

Actually ironically enough the Modders are releasing new modules and doing a way better job than Randall did IMO

The Are Shivas, Soldanos, Engls see here www.salvationmods.com

• Members

Ran-dull dropped the RM line, I heard Egnater will continue

His patent after every stock of randull modules are sold?

Stock modules are definitely dull modded modules way to go.

Thanks to the modders like Salvation, Jaded Faith etc.. Without them

I'd sell my RM22.

• Members

Yeah they never really did.

Really seems like every time they tried to do something new with em after the beginning it was always pretty half baked and never enough follow through.

Still have my RM50 but I haven't kicked it on in a bit, I need to though. I always really loved that 1086.

Hell on that note I'm thinking maybe I'll snag another SL+ module and kill my JCM800 gas.

That said on the used market they've always gone for considerably less than new, more so lately than ever but they've always been on the cheap side.

Archived