Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp for country meets rock.

I'm looking for a single amp to cover most of playing styles which cross the genres of country and rock/classic rock. Ideally I'd like to keep it 30 watts or less and in a 1x12 combo format with at least two channels. Price range is around $1500. The tones I'm after go from Slash's lead and rhythm tone on the rock side to Brad Paisley on the country side. I'm also a fan of Keith Urban's tone when he used Marshalls and P90's live. Jason Aldean's latest album has some killer tones on it as well, and I heard that Kurt Allison did a lot of the work on that album and is a big part of the Nashville studio scene and apparently used a Mesa Lonestar Special on some of that album. Just wondering what else you guys figure might fit the bill that I'm looking for.
    Live to play LIVE

Proud member of the Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)

My Rig:
    Jet City JCA2112RC

TU-2 > V-847 > ST2 > Route 808 > DD-3

Epi Les Paul Std+ (BG dark set)
    Epi '56 Les Paul Goldtop
    Warmoth Musiclander (Invader/'59)

Mesa Lone Star Special would definitely fit the bill. The Genz Benz Black Pearl is also really awesome.

Now for a LOT less, you could get an used Peavey Classic 50 2x12, which is pretty much the Nashville standard workhorse I'd suggest a speaker upgrade for it, but other than that, it is as good as it gets for that style. Or Classic 30 if you want the 1x12/30w but I think it's worth it to get the 50, it sounds bigger and better.

If you want the absolutely best, I'd recommend the Tone King Imperial. But that's $3500, not $1500 lol
    http://www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

Get something like a fender hot rod and some pedals. ThAt can cover a ton of ground. Black pearl is an excellent recommendation. Also. Check out a dr z Maz 18 and a boost
      - Adam

Comment

It's funny that's not the first time the Classic 50 has come up in one of my threads. What speakers would you recommend for the classic 50?
        Live to play LIVE

Proud member of the Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)

My Rig:
        Jet City JCA2112RC

TU-2 > V-847 > ST2 > Route 808 > DD-3

Epi Les Paul Std+ (BG dark set)
        Epi '56 Les Paul Goldtop
        Warmoth Musiclander (Invader/'59)

Comment

It's funny that's not the first time the Classic 50 has come up in one of my threads. What speakers would you recommend for the classic 50?

Greenbacks.
          http://www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

Fender Deluxe Reverb.
            Gibson Les Paul Traditional
            Warmoth Custom Soloist
            Ibanez S370
            Gibson SG Special
            '77 Marshall JMP 2203
            http://www.myspace.com/sonicimages
            --------

Originally Posted by RaceU4her

i have 12,000+ posts at HCAF, of course im a ****************ing tone guru

Comment

Greenbacks.

Or Heritage 30s (70th Anniversary Edition).
              Find me and the rest of the guise here: www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

Call me crazy, but a Mesa MK IV does this really well.
                (Personal footnote: I'm 56, and a lot of things don't work so great anymore. The wrist is one example. Another is my Johnson, which doesn't fire up like it used to. Sometimes it hardly works at all. A year ago it actually backfired. The guy at the outboard motor repair shop where I bring it says this is common with an old Johnson.)

Comment

Call me crazy, but a Mesa MK IV does this really well.

no, no it doesn't

if you're playing country and rawk, just get a 59 bassman reissue and some pedals
                  Guitars: USA Peavey Wolfgang, MIJ Ibanez SCA220, Squier Telecaster Custom, Taylor 110e
                  Amps: 1989 Peavey VTM60, 1969 Sunn Sceptre
                  Cabs Avatar Vintage 4x12 w/ WGS Green Berets, Basson Vertical Slant 2x12 w/ Eminence Legends
                  Pedals Korg Pitchblack, BBE Green Screamer, BAT Pharaoh Fuzz, MXR Carbon Copy, Line 6 Echo Park

Comment

Now for a LOT less, you could get an used Peavey Classic 50 2x12, which is pretty much the Nashville standard workhorse I'd suggest a speaker upgrade for it, but other than that, it is as good as it gets for that style. Or Classic 30 if you want the 1x12/30w but I think it's worth it to get the 50, it sounds bigger and better.

Speaking of the Classic 50: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/2824619169.html

Find me and the rest of the guise here: www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

no, no it doesn't

if you're playing country and rawk, just get a 59 bassman reissue and some pedals

excuse me Mr. I know everything.
                      (Personal footnote: I'm 56, and a lot of things don't work so great anymore. The wrist is one example. Another is my Johnson, which doesn't fire up like it used to. Sometimes it hardly works at all. A year ago it actually backfired. The guy at the outboard motor repair shop where I bring it says this is common with an old Johnson.)

Comment

Fender Deluxe 410 with a Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde pedal in front.
                        "All metal is muscle memory" - NeoAngelo

Comment

If you have teh scratchola... there is no substitute for country.

Comment

Mesa Lonestar or Trans-Atlantic head and 1 x 12 cab
                            Gear:
                            1960 Stratocaster (Olympic White)
                            1979 Gibson ES 345 TD
                            '63 Fender Custom Relic Telecaster

1962 Vox Ac 30
                            1962 Fender 6G11a Vibrolux
                            1953 Fender 5C2 Princeton
                            1955 Gibson GA 6
                            1963 Supro Supreme 1600R
                            1964 Gretsch 6150T
                            1966 Fender Princeton Reverb
                            Marshall 1974X + Cab

Comment

I'm gonna say mini recto.... Seriously dual rectos are all over "country" now. Jason Alden's guys use them

Comment

Working...
                              X