So i just went and played 4 "mini" heads (Orange, Vox, Mesa Boogie) at GC ..

***1776***

• Members

I had a quick 40 minute "window after" eating dinner and having 2 running errands (and now watching the Knicks 2nd half) and i said WTF let me run down to GC for a few and see whats up. Nothing excting in the store but i saw 4 mini amp heads all in 1 spot and said ok let me noodle around with the little time i had. I grabbed 1 of those faded brown USA model les paul studios and fired away, the 4 amps were

Vox Nite train,

Mesa mini rectifier,

Mesa Trans-atlantic

and Orange Tiny Terror

The mesas were plugged into 1X12s and the transatlantic is a nice sounding amp, not a high gainer but warm toney sounds im sure with a lil boost it could get more kickass but overall nice lil amp, the vox night train is not bad either (I played this amp b4) and this was on 2x12 and some nice crunch on the amp, it gets really gritty dirty when you hit the amp/strings hard, cool lil amp.

Next i played the Mesa mini rectifier............meeeeh at best, arrrgh i just couldnt get along with the amp at all, not sure if i dialed it or the fact that it was on a 1x12 but the amp sounded squishy and it just seemed to fight me whenever i turned a knob, i just didnt seem to get along with it, lastly was the Orange tiny Terror (i havent played one in a bit) long story short it SHITKICKED all the other amps, it wasnt close :eek:

It seems like the Orange TT gets no love/disrespected on this forum (even by the Orange guys around here) but this lil SOB just sounded so much BIGGER/THICKER than the other amps, it wasnt even close. Now to be fair it was on a bigger cabinet, but still it was so much fucking warmer sounding, it really was rock and roll tones in a lil box. The lil SOB really surprised me at how much CRUNCH it had.

Im going to go back and play it again when i get a chance, i really liked it - CSB, i suck, yadda yadda, Knicks are getting smoked right now, etc, etc Im going back to play the amp again to see if it was just a fluke

:lol:

• Members

Agreed.....I have owned over 10 different amps over the past two years. I have been looking for a perfect combination of crunch, punch, girth and anger. I bought an Orange Dual Terror about 6 months ago and it does all this better than any amp I have owned. I have just ordered the EVH 5150 mini in hopes of becoming a nice companion to my Orange. I will be stunned of the 5150 makes me happier than the Dual Terror.

• Members

Ya i see your a big Orange guy

does the Dual terror have any more gain than the TT? I know its subjective but if the TT had a pinch more gain it would be perfect, but overall it is a nice sounding amp with crunch, i just wish it had a lil more gain. Is the DT the same gain/tone? Thanks

• Members

Ya i see your a big Orange guy

does the Dual terror have any more gain than the TT? I know its subjective but if the TT had a pinch more gain it would be perfect, but overall it is a nice sounding amp with crunch, i just wish it had a lil more gain. Is the DT the same gain/tone? Thanks

The "fat" channel on the Dual Terror definitely has more gain than the standard Tiny Terror. It is also fatter and thicker. I pretty much live on the "fat" channel. The extra wattage of the Dual terror also give it more girth and punch than the 15 watt Tiny Terror. There's just something about this amp that is "satisfying" for lack of a better word. It never lets me down and it's super easy to dial in. It's also very versatile being able to switch from 7 to 15 to 30 watts. I have been gigging this amp for 6 months and I have never been happier with my sound. The only thing I did was have my DT put into a normal head shell. You can get a brand new Dual terror on E-Bay from Eddie's Guitars in St. louis for $569. Crazy cheap!!

dtblack2.jpg

• Members

^ ok cool thanks bro

I am going to go back and play it again it just sounded great, fucking responsive and warm. It seems like the amp gets some "hate" (even from the orange guys around here) the tones were really nice, it really wasnt even close with the other amps tonally.

If the Dual Terror has a lil more gain and is fatter/thicker like you said i may have to give 1 a try down the road, Im not a big effects guy (some delay and im cool) i think putting it front as long as the levels are low is fine with the amp, thanks again :)

• Members

I tried the mini-recto at GC the other day and good a wide range of good tones. I'm not a huge Recto fan, so I'm not defending it for that reason. I wonder if you just didn't dial it quite right. Mesas tend to be tricky.

You might be right on the dialing tricky part, it just didnt inspire me much as a amp - ill have to try it again 1 day down the road

• Members

The "fat" channel on the Dual Terror definitely has more gain than the standard Tiny Terror. It is also fatter and thicker. I pretty much live on the "fat" channel. The extra wattage of the Dual terror also give it more girth and punch than the 15 watt Tiny Terror. There's just something about this amp that is "satisfying" for lack of a better word. It never lets me down and it's super easy to dial in. It's also very versatile being able to switch from 7 to 15 to 30 watts. I have been gigging this amp for 6 months and I have never been happier with my sound. The only thing I did was have my DT put into a normal head shell. You can get a brand new Dual terror on E-Bay from Eddie's Guitars in St. louis for $569. Crazy cheap!!

dtblack2.jpg

Where did you get that headcase for the DT?

• Members

Any body tried the Dark Terror? From all the vids and talk i hear it is the one to have if you want a bit more gain, certainly won out about the recto mini in Chappers shout out on youtube.

I played it did but on a different day (month or so ago)

It was a more modern/scooped sounding than the TT series. I wasnt a big fan of it, yes it had more gain than the TT series but it sacrificed a lil bit of the actual Orange tone imo, just to fizzzzy sizzly sounding for my ears, i prefer the TT

:idk:

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I found the minirecto to be damned cool when I played it. I played it through a mesa 212 with a PRS of some sort, and was able to get all kinds of good sounds from it. It was a bit different to dial in, I suppose, but I left the store gassing for it. Too damned expensive though.

Archived