Recommend me some good scifi books

nakedzen

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My favorite book is Margaret Attwood's Oryx and Crake. It's a post apocalyptic tale, basically it starts at the end and through a serious of flashbacks you get to how the world ended at the end of the book. Her stuff is very realistic, so it's very easy to imagine her vision coming true. It's a great read and the prose is outstanding, along the lines of Brave New World.

• Members

If you like Star Trek and/or Star Wars check out Foundation-Isaac Asimov. Anything from The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. Kurt Vonnegut-Sirens of Titan, Cats Cradle, Slaughterhouse 5. World War Z is a decent read and fairly popular right now.

• Members

Have you read the entire Stainless Steel Rat series? The later ....Goes to Hell and such werent great but the originals were fantastic.

Also try The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, not really sci-fi but has the same irreverant feel as the Stainless Steel Rat stuff. You could also try the Nightside series by Simon R Green. If you are more into Heinlein-ish stuff try Paul Melko's The Walls of the Universe.

• Members

Have you read the entire Stainless Steel Rat series? The later ....Goes to Hell and such werent great but the originals were fantastic.

Also try The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, not really sci-fi but has the same irreverant feel as the Stainless Steel Rat stuff. You could also try the Nightside series by Simon R Green. If you are more into Heinlein-ish stuff try Paul Melko's The Walls of the Universe.

Yeah I think I have all of the SSR books. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

• Members

I've been reading a lot of the Warhammer 40k stuff recently. Fun & entertaining. Try The Grey Knights omnibus. I wouldn't recommend the William King offerings, tho.

I enjoyed the Ultramarines omnibus, too. WH books are REALLY hit or miss so be sure to read reader reviews.

• Members

Anything by John Varley - the Gaea trilogy (Titan, Wizard, Demon), The Golden Globe, Steel Beach are all absolute winners.

Heinlein's 'The Moon is a Harsh Mistress' is legendary, as are most of his works.

Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle's 'Oath of Fealty' is another great book, as are most of their works, either separately or together. Especially good is 'Legacy of Heorot' with Steven Barnes. Also look into the 'Man-Kzin Wars' collection, where other writers use Niven's Known Space universe to tell different stories about these two cultures repeated conflicts.

Niven and Barnes also teamed up for the Dream Park series - all winners.

• Members

Ok, if we arent only doing funny....

+`1 on Heinlein. Unfortunately some of his later work is not stand alone - I read The Number of the Beast out of sequence and said 'Who are these people?' half way through. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is as good as it gets. Good stand alone later works are Friday and Job: a Comedy of Justice.

The uncut version of Stranger in a Strange Land is great - better then the original, which was already a masterpiece.

If you have never read Starship Troopers prepare to hate Hollywood - one Capsule Trooper could take out a platoon of those pretty boys from the movie. The drop sequence in the first chapter is something I would have loved to see on film. Damn Hollywood.:cry:

Speaking of Hollywood, The Puppet Masters is a much better book then the throw-away monster-movie it became. Now I get why they left out one particular plot point...

can you imagine a mainstream movie where the whole cast, down to the extras, spends half of the movie wearing weapons, and nothing else ??? Old Donald Sutherland starkers, anyone?:eek:

+1000 on William Gibson's Cyberspace Trilogy. Proper order is Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive. Game changing Sci-Fi novels.

Stainless Steel Rat series is awesome - high adventure and gut-busting funny. Would make great movies if left in the right hands.

• Members

^this^

Starship Troopers is still one of the best books I've ever read. Friday is great as well - you just have to love her. Still some of the best Heinlein books are his earlier 'adolescent' books, like Citizen of the Galaxy & The Star Beast. I guess it's just not possible to make a decent film using a Heinlein book as a starter - the movie versions of Puppet Masters & Starship Troopers were travesties. Paging Sergeant Zim! Kill these film-makers for me, please.

• Members

I strongly suggest you get Glen Cook's "Darkwar." That's the three book collection of "Doomstalker" "Warlock" and "Ceremony." Oh my goodness its amazing. It's more science fantasy than SF, but Glen Cook is one of the best writer's I've ever read. The story is compelling, the characters fascinating, I spent most of a Saturday reading on it. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Archived