GFS Solderless Cable System

chrispsullivan

• Members

These look like they use the same system as the planet waves stuff. This solderless stuff is a godsend. There were a number of times when I had to change cable lengths with my PW kit on the fly and didn't have the convenience of firing up a soldering iron.

• Members

These look like they use the same system as the planet waves stuff. This solderless stuff is a godsend. There were a number of times when I had to change cable lengths with my PW kit on the fly and didn't have the convenience of firing up a soldering iron.

This. I have 2 PW cables with the cut out switches for several years and they just keep on working! If the plug end gets weird, just loosen the set screw, pull the cable, cut off 1/2 inch or so, put it back in the plug and re-tighten.

• Members

The Bryan Beller bass clinic he set up a full pedal board with the Planet Waves solderless system in just a couple minutes while babbling about other stuff just to show how easy it is. This looks like the same type of deal. Be pretty smoove if it works just as well as that did.

• Members

looks cool, but I'm not sure if I trust those solderless systems in the long run. I'd rather solder them myself and know they're secure.

Been using the PW cable station stuff for the last few years. I ended up buying the last 50' from GC and buying a bunch of used connectors on ebay to make my own cables.

The pedal board connections have been rock solid and I've never had to touch them. The instrument length cables need re-connecting every once in awhile though.

• Members

If you're "soldering" plate glass...then yes...it makes a mechanical connection. If you're soldering for electronics...well...

http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/how_to/solder/index.html

"Before solder is applied, a good mechanical connection should be made between the wires by twisting the wires together. Soldering should be considered a means for making a good electrical connection, not a mechanical one..."

http://www.morsex.com/building/atoz.htm

"The mechanical connection should be secure before you apply solder, and the parts should not be able to move in relation to eachother."

http://www.metroccca.org/tech_articles/tech_06_fall.pdf

"While strong most times, a solder connection is not a substitute for a good mechanical connection."

http://www.electronicstheory.com/COURSES/ELECTRONICS/soldering.htm

"Soldering (for the sake of this course, and electronics in general) is the bonding of two metals together in order to form a good electrical connection. Soldering is NOT intended to make a mechanical connection. The mechanical connection should be established long before the soldering is done."

• Members
If you're "soldering" plate glass...then yes...it makes a mechanical connection. If you're soldering for electronics...well...

"Before solder is applied, a good mechanical connection should be made between the wires by twisting the wires together. Soldering should be considered a means for making a good electrical connection, not a mechanical one..."

"The mechanical connection should be secure before you apply solder, and the parts should not be able to move in relation to eachother."

"While strong most times, a solder connection is not a substitute for a good mechanical connection."

"Soldering (for the sake of this course, and electronics in general) is the bonding of two metals together in order to form a good electrical connection. Soldering is NOT intended to make a mechanical connection. The mechanical connection should be established long before the soldering is done."

yes, that is all common sense. But it is easier for a couple strands to pull free and possibly tough the opposite connection, or anytime you lose a couple strands it allows the remainin strands to be looser, meaning they can come free even more easily. Pretty hard for a similar thing to happen with a decent solder connection. That's what I mean by being somewhat of a mechanical connection. It either all comes free or none does. (Unless of course you pull on it and some of the strands break.

Archived