best 1x12 for metal?

stonem66

• Members

Hey I am downsizing my rig, I dont play out anymore. I am looking for an awesome 1x12 combo for modern death metal. Currently it looks like my options are limited to a mesa mark series (a mark 3 or 4)or a rectoverb. Can anyone add insight on which of these would be better or any other amps to check out. my price limit is around $1500 and I will buy used. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

• Members

Peavey XXX 112, 40 or 60 watt. You can set crystal clean, rythm and solo sounds on each. Has plenty of gain, a bit difficult to fine tune but once you get it is really good. Not so "agro" as the 6505+ 1x12 but not so cheaply made either. In fact it has a plywood cab and far bigger transformers comparatively.

Any mesa boogie 1x12 bar perhaps the newer express will get you to some metal sounds, the f-series is at least modern-like.

marshall JVM 205 gets also metal-ish enough and has 50 watts.

Some solid state amps excell at that and are cheap as hell used, like the peavey bandit for instance.

Tech21 trademark 60 will go as far as classic metal easily and sounds good for a "downsized" rig.

Some modeller amps like the vypyr tube 60 (again peavey) are cut out for metal and are also pretty versatile overall!

I don't know if I'd recommend a rect-o-verb single rectifier mesa 1x12 combo for metal. Too flaffy sounding without a boost for my tastes and huge to lug around, extremely heavy also. If you care for that sound, boosted go for it.

• Members

Peavey XXX 112, 40 or 60 watt. You can set crystal clean, rythm and solo sounds on each. Has plenty of gain, a bit difficult to fine tune but once you get it is really good. Not so "agro" as the 6505+ 1x12 but not so cheaply made either. In fact it has a plywood cab and far bigger transformers comparatively.

Ooh. I hadn't ever looked at the XXX combos before. They're sure available for cheap-cheap on the used market. They sound just as good and thrashy as the heads? If so that may be on my list to try out.

I hate amp gas.

• Members

Thanks for the advice. a 2x12 is too big I have one an it kills my back. As far as 6505 I have had one and didnt like it, it didnt compar to other amps, they are nice for the price but I want something better. I am looking at the engl now it sounds pretty good. Can anyone tell me how the rectoverb combo compares to a real duel rec?

• Members

FWIW:

XXX 2x12 combo: 85 lbs

6505+ 112 combo: 65 lbs

right, but 1x12 are smaller and easier to carry, it throws my back out trying to manage a huge 2x12. plus if i wanna move it into the living room while I watch tv it takes up too much room.

• Members

right, but 1x12 are smaller and easier to carry, it throws my back out trying to manage a huge 2x12. plus if i wanna move it into the living room while I watch tv it takes up too much room.

Ok, just wanted to make sure knew the weights. There are some people with bad backs who will need to use a cart for even the 1x12, in which case it's not a big deal to get the 2x12 instead.

• Members

Tech21 trademark 60 will go as far as classic metal easily and sounds good for a "downsized" rig.

I'm not a gain head, but the Tech 21 Trademark 60 doesn't have enough gain for even classic metal. I used to run mine LOUD for a couple hours at a time during rehearsal & after about the 3rd or 4th night, it tanked. It would heat up & effectively shut off. After an hour or so it would work again. Not made for continuous high volume playing.

• Members

Some solid state amps excell at that and are cheap as hell used, like the peavey bandit for instance.

:thu:

• Members

Thanks for the advice. a 2x12 is too big I have one an it kills my back. As far as 6505 I have had one and didnt like it, it didnt compar to other amps, they are nice for the price but I want something better. I am looking at the engl now it sounds pretty good. Can anyone tell me how the rectoverb combo compares to a real duel rec?

A 2x12 with head is probably going to be lighter to haul around than an all in one 1x12 Combo.

6505 1x12 combo weight is 64 lbs.

Mes MK IV 1x12 weights is 83 lbs.

For example, my Marshall 1936 2x12 cab weighs 54 lbs

You also have a lot more options going with a head and 2x12 cab

• Members

Hey I am downsizing my rig, I dont play out anymore. I am looking for an awesome 1x12 combo for modern death metal. Currently it looks like my options are limited to a mesa mark series (a mark 3 or 4)or a rectoverb. Can anyone add insight on which of these would be better or any other amps to check out. my price limit is around $1500 and I will buy used. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

With this budget, Rectoverb for sure. Great amp and it will give you the recto tone in a small package. Good at low volumes too.

• Members

Good options. I'd also check around to see if you can a VHT pitbull combo. They exist but don't pop up that often.

which combo are you referring to? from what I understand the 50/12 isn't really high gain. I love vht and would love to have a clx in 112 configuration but they dont make em.

• Members

so the rectoverb is a good representation of a dual rec? I plan on boosting whatever I get. I tend to go for the tone of BDMs unhallowed album which is tripe recs. Could you say if the rectoverb boosted would pull that off? Once again thanks everyone for the replies, lots of great advice here. I was a member years ago and when I tried to log back on it acted like it didnt know who I was maybe they deleted my account?

Archived